There’s No Place Like Home
Celebrating Philadelphia’s Gayborhood
This summer, Philadelphia is celebrating its vibrant “Gayborhood” with two weeks of events, taking place from Saturday, July 10 through Saturday, July 24. Dubbed There’s No Place Like Home, the two-week celebration features a ribbon-cutting ceremony, block party, photo exhibit and 25 special offers. The celebration will take place concurrently with QFEST – Philadelphia’s LGBT Film Festival.
Since its inception in the 1970s — when the gay community began migrating from west of Broad Street near Rittenhouse Square to its current location on the east side of Broad around 12th Street — Philadelphia’s “Gayborhood” has developed into an impressive cultural, retail and dining destination.
Over the last two years, the neighborhood has welcomed many new businesses, renovations and developments, and July’s celebration will recognize the efforts of the business owners, non-profit organizations, public officials, residents and visitors who invested time, passion and resources to make the ‘Gayborhood’ a dynamic, thriving city enclave.
Southwest Airlines’ Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony
Date: Saturday, July 10 – 4:00 p.m.
Location: In front of The Independent Hotel – 1234 Locust Street
Featuring a press conference and an appearance by Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter, this is the official kick-off of the “Gayborhood” celebration.
Date: Saturday, July 10 – Immediately following the press conference
Location: Q Lounge + Kitchen
Celebrate at Q Lounge + Kitchen immediately after the press conference on Saturday, July 10th – Sponsored by Finlandia
QFEST Film Screening
Date: Saturday, July 10 – 6:00 p.m.
Location: Bars throughout the “Gayborhood”
Following the press conference on Saturday, July 10 at 6 PM, bars throughout the “Gayborhood” will play the documentary film, Welcome to the Gayborhood, Philadelphia simultaneously.
Gayborhood Photo Retrospective
Date: July 10 through July 24
Location: William Way Community Center
Opening Saturday, July 10 and running through July 24 at the William Way Community Center. This photo exhibit will display images from phases in the historic evolution of the “Gayborhood.”
Wells Fargo’s “Gayborhood” Block Party
Date: Sunday, July 11 – 12:00 noon to 6:00 p.m.
Location: 13th Street between Locust & Walnut Streets and Camac Street between Locust & Spruce Streets.
Local businesses, organizations and vendors will participate in this entertaining and unique, outdoor community-building event.
Re-Launch T-Dance with Dj Roland Belmares
Date: Sunday, July 11 – 4:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Location: Voyeur Nightclub
Rainbow Discount Pass Deals:
- Voyeur Nightclub: Save $5.00 on admission to Re-Launch with Dj Roland Belmares on Sunday, July 11th
- Absolute Pop: Save 15% on purchases
- IHOP: Save 20% on your bill
- Ettore Salon & Spa: Save 25% off any service (not valid with any other discount)
- Q Lounge + Kitchen: Save 15% on dining bill and $2 off all Happy Hour drinks (excluding existing happy hour specials)
- T Bar: Save 15% on food and drink – 117 S. 12th Street
- Woody’s: Free admission to the dance floor before midnight, save 20% on food, save $2.00 on all call and premium Happy Hour drinks
- 12th Air Command: Free admission to the dance floor on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights
- El Vez: Save 10% of your food
- Blue Lotus Gallery: Buy one and save 50% on the second item of equal or greater value
- Fruits, Flowers, Incredibly Edible Delites: Save $5.00 on your purchase
- Stir Lounge: Save $2.00 on drinks – excludes Happy Hour specials
- The Independent Hotel: Save $40 on all available room rates
- Philadelphia Movie Sites Tour: Save $7 or 20% on all tours booked
- Duross & Langel: Save 25% on all Duross & Langel hand made soaps
- XIII on 13: Save 13% on all purchases – 211 South 13th Street
- 13th Street Pizza: Free large fountain soda with any purchase
- Giovanni’s Room: Save 10% on purchases (not in addition to any other equal or greater discount)
- K Salon: Save $5.00 on haircuts ($25.00 – $35.00 range) and receive a complimentary bottle of shampoo or styling product – 1216 Locust Street
- Tabu: Save 20% on food and $3.00 drafts all day/every day
- Valanni: Save 10% on your bill (excludes tax & gratuity)
- Charlie Salon: Save 40% on haircuts – 203 S. 12th Street
- 12th Street Gym: Purchase 1 day pass and get a 2nd pass FREE
- Soleil Tanning Salon: 20% off one Advanced Tan
- Holiday Inn Express Midtown: $119.00 rate (plus tax), includes a deluxe continental breakfast, passes to Bally Total Fitness and free wireless internet
- Solefood at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel: Save 15% on lunch or dinner (excluding alcohol and tax)
- Tavern on Camac: Save $2.00 on all drinks (excluding Happy Hour)
- Andre Richard Salon: Save 10% off haircuts
- Jake’s Sandwich Board: Save 10% off you order
- The Wardrobe Boutique: Save 10% on one item in the store (excludes designer items) – 1822 Spring Garden Street
- Grocery: Save $10 on purchases over $50 – 101 S. 13th Street
- Mixto: Save 15% on bill
- More Than Just Ice Cream: Save $10% on your bill
- Lolita Restaurant: One free desert with the purchase of two entrees
- Bindi Restaurant: One free desert with the purchase of two entrees
- Verde: Save $20 off a purchase of $100 or more (not valid on previous purchases)
- Danny’s – Save 15% off regular priced merchandise. Buy two DVDs price $9.95 to $14.95 and get the 3rd DVD fee – 133 S. 13th Street