Bloomsday at the Rosenbach
A daylong celebration of James Joyce’s Ulysses
June 13-18, 2014
On June 16, the world celebrates Leopold Bloom’s fictional journey through the streets of Dublin, as imagined in James Joyce’s masterpiece Ulysses, during a special celebration termed “Bloomsday.”
For two decades, Philadelphia’s Rosenbach Museum and Library — home to Joyce’s original Ulysses manuscript — has hosted one of the world’s largest Bloomsday celebrations with a day of festivities along Delancy Place. Celebrate with notable Philadelphians and Joyce enthusiasts bring the novel to life with lectures, readings and reenactments.
Bloomsday is notable as it is the only international holiday that recognizes one specific work of art. From the brilliant short story “The Dead” to Leopold Bloom’s wanderings through the underworlds of the city streets, Joyce saw Dublin as a place populated by ghosts.
The Rosenbach Museum commemorates the occasion with a celebration culminating with a reading of Ulysses (yes, all 1,000+ pages!) from the steps of the Rosenbach, led by notable Philadelphians.
The celebration is free and open to everyone.
For a complete listing of Bloomsday events, click the button below.
In the neighborhood
210 W. Rittenhouse Square
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Hotel Palomar Philadelphia
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- Radisson Blu Warwick Hotel Philadelphia
- The Westin Philadelphia
- Sonesta Hotel Philadelphia
- Latham Hotel
- AKA Rittenhouse Square
- Sofitel Philadelphia
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
18th Street and Walnut Street Rittenhouse Square Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Concerts in the Park – Rittenhouse Square Summer Concert Series
- Art on City Hall
- Thomas Hockley House
- Philly POPS! On Independence 2014
- The Philadelphia Orchestra
- Plays and Players Theater
- Merriam Theater
- Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame and Adolph and Rose Levis Sports Museum
- Rittenhouse Square
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining