Dancing Around The Bride:
Cage, Cunningham, Johns, Rauschenberg, and Duchamp
Discover over 80 pieces of post-war avant-garde art
October 30, 2012 – January 21, 2013
Explore the collaborative works of post-war avant-garde artists first hand at Dancing Around the Bride, a new exhibit on display at the Philadelphia Museum of Art from October 30 to January 21. The exhibition includes more than 80 objects, stage sets, musical compositions and live dance and music performances, encouraging guests to discover the lives of the artists through the diverse forms of their work.
Dancing Around the Bride focuses on the individual work and collaborative force of artist greats Marcel Duchamp, Jasper Johns, Robert Rauschenberg, composer John Cage and choreographer Merce Cunningham. Together these artists greatly influenced not only postwar avant-garde art, but also American culture as a whole.
Duchamp’s painting Bride serves as the focal point of the exhibition and the works of Johns, Rauschenberg, Cage and Cunningham inspired by Bride are highlighted for the first time ever. The exhibit is organized in a series of four sections devoted to the Bride, to chance, to collaborations and performance, and to chess as symbols of the period.
Hours and Tickets
The Philadelphia Museum of Art is open:
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday: 11 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Friday: 11 a.m. – 8:45 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Cost: Adults: $20, Seniors (65 and over): $18, Students: $14, Youth (13-18): $14, Children (12 and under): Free
2600 Benjamin Franklin Parkway
Philadelphia, PA 19130
In the neighborhood
10 Avenue of the Arts
Philadelphia, PA 19102
- Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Four Seasons Philadelphia
- The Windsor Suites Philadelphia
- Best Western Center City Hotel
- Le Méridien Philadelphia
- Embassy Suites Philadelphia – Center City
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
24th and Parkway
- Prometheus Strangling the Vulture
- Ellsworth Kelly: Sculpture On The Wall
- Campus Philly College Day
- Sister Cities Park
- All Wars Memorial to Colored Soldiers and Sailors
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors Memorial
- Cathedral Basilica of
Saints Peter and Paul
- The Rocky Statue and the Rocky Steps
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
16th Street and the Benjamin Franklin Parkway
Philadelphia, PA 19102
- The Comcast Experience HD Video Wall – Comcast Center
- View more Restuarants & Dining