Liberty Block Party
Wawa Welcome America!
An all-day shindig to kick off the city’s 4th of July celebrations
Saturday, June 28
12 p.m. to 10 p.m.
The block party, taking place in the Rotunda and food court in Liberty Place as well as out on Chestnut St. between 15th and 16th streets, will offer Philadelphia residents and visitors an opportunity to sample dishes from 25 of the city’s best local restaurants and food trucks.
Wawa will be there as well with a truckload of their famous iced teas and beverages to keep things cool.
Entertainment and Shopping
In addition to top-notch food options, performances by artists and DJs will be sprinkled throughout the day, including a performance by Matthew Schuler, a contestant on season 5 of NBC’s The Voice Season 5.
In addition, R&B group New Edition will be honored by Mayor Michael A. Nutter on behalf of the city, and local youth will take part in a tribute by performing some of the group’s biggest hits.
Finally, craft and fashion vendors as well as the retailers from the Shops at Liberty Place will be on hand with plenty of shopping opportunities for attendees.
Road Closures And Public Transportation Detours
A number of streets will be closed for the Liberty Block Party Streets. The following streets will be closed from 5 a.m. until after midnight on Saturday, June 28:
- Chestnut Street, between 15th and 18th streets
- 16th Street, between Ranstead and Sansom streets
- Ionic Street, between 16th and 17th streets
- Ludlow Street, between 17th and 18th streets
Bus routes also will be detoured, and bus lines and roads are scheduled to be restored after midnight.
SEPTA will reroute its Chestnut Street buses — Routes 21, 42, 9 — as well as establish detours for Route 2 on 16th Street. The following is a description of the detoured bus lines:
- Route 9 – Southbound via Market Street: Right/15th St., Left/South Penn Square, Left/Juniper St., Right/Market St., Right/4th St., regular route
- Route 21 – Eastbound via Chestnut Street: Left/20th St., Right/Market St., Right/15th St., Left/South Penn Square, Left/Juniper St., Right/Market St., Right/12th St., Left/Chestnut St., regular route
- Route 42 – Eastbound via Chestnut Street: Left/20th St., Right/Market St., Right/15th St., Left/South Penn Square, Left/Juniper St., Right/Market St., Right/12th St., Left/Chestnut St., regular route
- Northbound via 16th Street: Right/Locust St., Left/Broad St., Right/South Penn Square, Left/Juniper St., Left/John F. Kennedy Blvd., Right/16th St., regular route
For more information, click the button below.
Guide to July 4th in Philadelphia
For our complete guide to the fireworks, concerts, family-friendly events and more happening over the week of July 4th, click the button below.
In the neighborhood
1 Logan Square
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel
- Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel
- The Westin Philadelphia
- Latham Hotel
- AKA Rittenhouse Square
- Hilton Inn at Penn
- The Windsor Suites Philadelphia
- Radisson Blu Warwick Hotel Philadelphia
- Le Méridien Philadelphia
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
Between Chestnut and Lombard
- The Wilma Theater
- Philadelphia Chamber Music Society
- First Unitarian Church
- Art Star Craft Bazaar
- Lion Crushing a Serpent
- Pennsylvania Guild Fine Craft Fair
- Concerts in the Park – Rittenhouse Square Summer Concert Series
- Philadelphia International
Festival of the Arts (PIFA)
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining