Treasures from Korea:
Arts and Culture of the Joseon Dynasty
Rare look into Korean art and culture at the Philadelphia Museum of Art
March 2-May 26, 2014
Get a rare look at Korean art and culture at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Treasures from Korea: Arts and Culture of the Joseon Dynasty 1392-1910 is the first full-scale survey in the United States to focus on the art of the celebrated Joseon dynasty.
The rule of the Joseon dynasty lasted for half a millennium (1392-1910), and the influence of the era remains even in modern-day Korea.
Within the expansive exhibition, see more than 150 works culled from collections around the world, including many treasures from the National Museum of Korea, as well as both public and private collections.
From gorgeous paper screens and silk robes to ancient portraits and manuscripts, the art and artifacts on display aim to offer a comprehensive view of the dynasty through a focus on five themes: the role of royalty, the taste for simplicity, social order, ritual and worship and, finally, the influence of Western civilization.
A multi-institutional collaboration between the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the National Museum of Korea (NMK), the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston (MFAH) and the Terra Foundation for American Art, the exhibition will make only three United States stops.
Philadelphia will be the first city to host what promises to be a extraordinary exhibit before it travels to Los Angeles and Houston.
During it’s stay in Philadelphia, a number of special events are planned to engage members and the public alike. Look out for the seven-week Korean Drama Series showing Sungkyunkwan Scandal, a South Korean drama from 2010, a K-Pop (Korean pop) dance party and fashion show on Friday, March 28 and much more.
Admission to Treasures from Korea: Arts and Culsture of the Joseon Dynasty 1392-1910 is included with general admission to the Philadelphia Museum of Art, but advance reservations are required.
Click the button below to choose your dates and purchase tickets in advance.
- PATH: http://www.uwishunu.com/tag/treasures-from-korea/feed/image/
Latest Treasures from Korea at the Philadelphia Museum of Art Stories from Uwishunu.com
March 4, 2014Philadelphia Museum Of Art Museum Pairs Its Treasures From Korea Exhibition With A Month-Long Korean Film Series, Through April 30
January 31, 2014Coming Attraction: Philadelphia Museum Of Art Presents Treasures from Korea: Arts and Culture of the Joseon Dynasty, 1392-1910, Opening Sunday, March 2
- Uwishunu covers everything fun and exciting happening in Philadelphia — read it daily for the latest on restaurants, bars, events, festivals, arts, music, hotels and more.
In the neighborhood
1700 Benjamin Franklin Parkway Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Le Méridien Philadelphia
- Embassy Suites Philadelphia – Center City
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
- Four Seasons Philadelphia
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
19th Street and Logan Square Logan Square Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors Memorial
- Moore College of Art and Design
- Prometheus Strangling the Vulture
- Yinka Shonibare MBE: Magic Ladders
at the Barnes Foundation
- CityPASS Philadelphia
- Three-Way Piece Number 1: Points
- Made In America Music Festival
- All Wars Memorial to Colored Soldiers and Sailors
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
16th Street and the Benjamin Franklin Parkway
Philadelphia, PA 19102
- The Comcast Experience HD Video Wall – Comcast Center
- View more Restuarants & Dining