Medical wonders in an architectural gem
The Mütter Museum is a riveting storehouse for the anatomically strange. The Museum’s display of 20,000 provocative items is designed to give a beneath-the-surface perspective of what physicians study.
Inside the Museum, you’ll find a wide smattering of abnormal body parts preserved in fluid. You’ll encounter skeletal formations — like that of a 7’6” man — that don’t seem quite possible. Diseased and enlarged organs are tastefully displayed within glass-encased oak frames.
For the sake of comparison, illustrations of normal anatomical formations are cast in wax, plaster and papier mâché throughout the museum.
Connections to the famous include Marie Curie’s electrometer, Dr. Benjamin Rush’s medicine chest and, most spectacularly, the death cast of Chang and Eng, the original “Siamese Twins,” whose autopsy was performed in the museum.
Philadelphia physician Thomas Mütter donated $30,000 and his 1,700-item personal museum of bones, plaster casts, medical illustrations and other pathological artifacts to the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. The College has continued to add to the collection since it opened as a museum in 1863.
The Mütter collection moved into its current building, which boasts grand marble and oak halls, in 1908.
Click the button below for more information on the Mütter Museum and to purchase tickets in advance.
In the neighborhood
135 S. 18th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- The Westin Philadelphia
- Latham Hotel
- Sonesta Hotel Philadelphia
- Embassy Suites Philadelphia – Center City
- Sofitel Philadelphia
- Le Méridien Philadelphia
- Hilton Inn at Penn
- The Windsor Suites Philadelphia
- Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
Broad Street and Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Philadelphia Theatre Company
- Philadelphia International
Festival of the Arts (PIFA)
- Philly POPS! On Independence 2015
- Duck Girl
- The PFS Roxy Theater
- Plays and Players Theater
- The Philadelphia Shakespeare Theatre
- Art on City Hall
- Thomas Hockley House
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
205 S. 18th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Del Frisco’s Double Eagle Steak House
- Alma De Cuba
- Center City District Sips
- The Franklin Mortgage & Investment Company
- Twenty Manning Grill
- Di Bruno Bros.
- The Comcast Experience HD Video Wall – Comcast Center
- Honey’s Sit ‘n Eat
- View more Restuarants & Dining