Medical wonders in an architectural gem
The Mütter Museum is a riveting storehouse for the anatomically strange. The Museum’s display of 20,000 provocative items is designed to give a beneath-the-surface perspective of what physicians study.
Inside the Museum, you’ll find a wide smattering of abnormal body parts preserved in fluid. You’ll encounter skeletal formations — like that of a 7’6” man — that don’t seem quite possible. Diseased and enlarged organs are tastefully displayed within glass-encased oak frames.
For the sake of comparison, illustrations of normal anatomical formations are cast in wax, plaster and papier mâché throughout the museum.
Connections to the famous include Marie Curie’s electrometer, Dr. Benjamin Rush’s medicine chest and, most spectacularly, the death cast of Chang and Eng, the original “Siamese Twins,” whose autopsy was performed in the museum.
Philadelphia physician Thomas Mütter donated $30,000 and his 1,700-item personal museum of bones, plaster casts, medical illustrations and other pathological artifacts to the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. The College has continued to add to the collection since it opened as a museum in 1863.
The Mütter collection moved into its current building, which boasts grand marble and oak halls, in 1908.
Buy Tickets Online
Purchase tickets for general admission to the Mütter Museum in advance of your visit. Click the button below to buy tickets online at the Independence Visitor Center.
- PATH: http://www.uwishunu.com/tag/mutter-museum/feed/image/
Latest Mutter Museum Stories from Uwishunu.com
October 30, 2013The Mütter Museum Hosts A Sleepover Party With Flashlight Tours, A Movie Screening, Drinks And More, November 8-9
October 30, 2013Roundup: Day Of The Dead Celebrations At Bars, Restaurants And Museums In Philadelphia
October 29, 2013Halloween In Philadelphia 2013: Experience Haunted Philadelphia In Celebration Of The Spooky Season
April 3, 2013The Mütter Museum Turns Back The Clock With This Year’s Mad Men-Themed Mütter Ball, Saturday, April 6
April 2, 2013With Art Philadelphia: Top Picks for April Art Happenings In And Around The City
- Uwishunu covers everything fun and exciting happening in Philadelphia — read it daily for the latest on restaurants, bars, events, festivals, arts, music, hotels and more.
In the neighborhood
99 S. 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- The Windsor Suites Philadelphia
- Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel
- Sofitel Philadelphia
- Hilton Inn at Penn
- Four Seasons Philadelphia
- AKA Rittenhouse Square
- Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
- Radisson Blu Warwick Hotel Philadelphia
- Embassy Suites Philadelphia – Center City
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
260 South Broad Street The Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts Philadelphia, PA 19102
- The Choral Arts Society of Philadelphia
- Philadelphia Theatre Company
- The Barnes Foundation
- Prince Music Theater
- Philadelphia Chamber Music Society
- Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
- Henry J. Cadbury Library
- The Wilma Theater
- Monument to Six Million Jewish Martyrs
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
112 South 18th Street
- Café Lutecia
- Steve’s Prince of Steaks
- Vango Lounge and Sky Bar
- Di Bruno Bros.
- Del Frisco’s Double Eagle Steak House
- R2L Restaurant and Lounge
- Village Whiskey
- Nodding Head Brewery and Restaurant
- Le Bec-Fin
- View more Restuarants & Dining