Medical wonders in an architectural gem
The Mütter Museum is a riveting storehouse for the anatomically strange. The Museum’s display of 20,000 provocative items is designed to give a beneath-the-surface perspective of what physicians study.
Inside the Museum, you’ll find a wide smattering of abnormal body parts preserved in fluid. You’ll encounter skeletal formations — like that of a 7’6” man — that don’t seem quite possible. Diseased and enlarged organs are tastefully displayed within glass-encased oak frames.
For the sake of comparison, illustrations of normal anatomical formations are cast in wax, plaster and papier mâché throughout the museum.
Connections to the famous include Marie Curie’s electrometer, Dr. Benjamin Rush’s medicine chest and, most spectacularly, the death cast of Chang and Eng, the original “Siamese Twins,” whose autopsy was performed in the museum.
Philadelphia physician Thomas Mütter donated $30,000 and his 1,700-item personal museum of bones, plaster casts, medical illustrations and other pathological artifacts to the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. The College has continued to add to the collection since it opened as a museum in 1863.
The Mütter collection moved into its current building, which boasts grand marble and oak halls, in 1908.
Click the button below for more information on the Mütter Museum and to purchase tickets in advance.
In the neighborhood
135 S. 18th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Le Méridien Philadelphia
- Radisson Blu Warwick Hotel Philadelphia
- Four Seasons Philadelphia
- Hotel Palomar Philadelphia
- Latham Hotel
- Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel
- Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
- Embassy Suites Philadelphia – Center City
- The Windsor Suites Philadelphia
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
260 South Broad Street The Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts Philadelphia, PA 19102
- The Academy of Vocal Arts
- Opera Philadelphia
- The Philly Pops
- Art on City Hall
- The Philadelphia Shakespeare Theatre
- Pennsylvania Guild Fine Craft Fair
- Pennsylvania Ballet’s The Nutcracker
- Pennsylvania Ballet
- Bloomsday at the Rosenbach
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
50 South 16th Street Two Liberty Place, 37th floor Philadelphia, PA 19102
- Alma De Cuba
- The Dandelion Pub
- Café Lutecia
- Ocean Prime
- Vango Lounge and Sky Bar
- Liberty Block Party
Wawa Welcome America!
- The Comcast Experience HD Video Wall – Comcast Center
- Steve’s Prince of Steaks
- View more Restuarants & Dining