National Archives and Records Administration Mid-Atlantic Region
Exhibition and research facility of the official records of the American democracy
The National Archives enables visitors to see for themselves the records of what the government has done. Here are collections for all manner of agencies, including the Mint, NASA, the Marines, the Census Bureau, the Selective Service, the FAA, the Customs Service, the Immigration and Naturalization Service and the little-known (and long abolished) Chemical Warfare Service.
Holdings are also useful for genealogy research. The gallery is found just off busy Chestnut Street, and it is dedicated to changing exhibitions drawn on the rich and varied archival collections. During a recent visit, a display about lighthouses featured Coast Guard drawings, photographs, maps and manuscripts.
Archivists measure their collections in cubic feet, and this archive has more than 50,000, dating from the 18th century to the 1990s. When federal courts and the vast array of federal agencies in Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia no longer need their documents, they retire a select percentage here. What is kept has historic value and evidence rights of U.S. citizens.
Open Mon – Fri and some Saturdays. School-age children welcome with adult. Researchers need identification.
Free workshops on family history, genealogy, research in archives, and teaching history using archival documents, as well as tours of the facility, are frequently held. See their Web site or call for a schedule.
This building occupies the site originally occupied by the first White House, built when Philadelphia was the nation’s capital in the 1790s.
In the neighborhood
1201 Race Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Hilton Garden Inn Center City
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown
- Loews Philadelphia Hotel
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Home2 Suites by Hilton Philadelphia–
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
19 South 10th Street Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Mural Arts Program
- PSFS Building
- Arch Street United Methodist Church
- AIA Bookstore & Design Center
- The Fabric Workshop and Museum
- Philadelphia Museum of Art
- David Lynch: The Unified Field at PAFA
- PIFA Street Fair
- Emergence of a Modern Metropolis Walking Tour
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
106 S. 13th Street Philadelphia, PA 19107
- M Restaurant at the Morris House Hotel
- Zavino Pizzeria and Wine Bar
- 1225 Raw Sushi & Sake Lounge
- Ms. Tootsie’s Restaurant Bar Lounge
- Tria – Wine Beer & Cheese Café
- Center City District Restaurant Week
- Tommy DiNic’s Roast Pork and Beef
- View more Restuarants & Dining