St. Stephen’s Protestant Episcopal Church
William Strickland (1822-23)
St. Stephen’s Church is the only surviving example of architect William Strickland’s Gothic style. When it was built, its Gothic Revival design was unique and marked the wane of the popular neo-Classical style.
The church contains outstanding examples of religious art, including a Venetian glass altar-piece depicting the Last Supper and three Tiffany stained-glass windows on the south wall.
Incidentally, the Church was built on the site of Benjamin Franklin’s famous kite and lightning experiment.
St. Stephen’s is located on Tenth Street, between Market and Chestnut, in Center City. It’s a short walk from City Hall, the Avenue of the Arts, the Convention Center and Market East. For service times and more information, visit St. Stephen’s website.
Another famous Philadelphia architect worked on St. Stephen’s more than 50 years after Strickland completed it. Frank Furness added the north transept and vestry room in the late 1870s.
In the neighborhood
1201 Market Street Philadelphia, PA 19107
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Rodeway Inn Center City
- Four Points by Sheraton Center City
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Holiday Inn Express Midtown
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Alexander Inn
- Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
21 S. 5th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
- National Constitution Center
- Franklin Square
- City Hall
- Campus Philly College Day
- The Irish Memorial
- The African American Museum in Philadelphia
- The Philadelphia History Museum at the Atwater Kent
- United States Mint
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
S. 9th Street and Washington Avenue (Along 9th Street between Wharton and Fitzwater) Philadelphia, PA 19147
- Reading Terminal Market’s Pennsylvania Dutch Festival
- Tommy DiNic’s Roast Pork and Beef
- Taste of Philadelphia Food Tour
- Reading Terminal Market
- Wok & Walk Tour of Chinatown
- View more Restuarants & Dining