The Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania
A century of ancestor tracking, bit by byte
In the heart of Center City, volunteers of The Genealogical Society delve into the past. There, tax records reveal names, dates, and other facts that document ancestors, communities and keep their histories alive.
In addition to tax records, this research society provides an array of other resources: microfilm and electronic church records; bibles; funeral home and cemetery records, family papers and letters. The society holdings also include city and county directories – records which deal primarily with Pennsylvania-related genealogical information – which simply aren’t available anywhere else.
Since 1892, the Society has been expanding its collections and serving researchers in person, through the mail, and more recently, by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Few genealogical societies in the United States have been serving genealogical needs as long, and only a scant few collect and preserve vital and personal records from unpublished sources. The society is run largely by volunteers.
Open Mon – Wed, Sat by appointment only.
Volunteers are now culling the Public Ledger, a Philadelphia daily newspaper published from 1834-1870, for important genealogical data. The results of this research will become accessible at the Society and distributed related research institutions.
In the neighborhood
1201 Race Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- Sleep Inn Center City
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Rodeway Inn Center City
- Holiday Inn Express
- The Morris House Hotel
- Alexander Inn
- Hilton Garden Inn Center City
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
9th and Walnut Streets Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Philadelphia International
Festival of the Arts (PIFA)
- Oktoberfest at Brauhaus Schmitz
- The Philadelphia Orchestra
- Washington Square
- Pennsylvania Hospital
- Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame and Adolph and Rose Levis Sports Museum
- Lantern Theater Company
- Philadelphia’s Magic Gardens
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
900 South Street Philadelphia, PA 19147
- Campus Philly CollegeFest
- M Restaurant at the Morris House Hotel
- Hard Rock Cafe Philadelphia
- Center City District Sips
- Reading Terminal Market’s Pennsylvania Dutch Festival
- View more Restuarants & Dining