Broadway touring shows in Philadelphia’s Center City
The Merriam Theater keeps with the Broadway touring tradition by importing recent hits and long running musicals for runs of varying length in Philadelphia. The theater has been extensively restored so that one can get a sense of the more elaborate days of theatergoing in the early 20th Century.
The Merriam was opened in the early 20th Century under Schubert Management when Philadelphia had a large pre-Broadway and post-Broadway touring scene. It is now run under the auspices of The University of the Arts and serves as the University’s major performance hall for students in the College of Performing Arts.
The 1,842-seat theater is also ‘‘home’‘ to a number of regional performing arts organizations.
Look out for family shows especially at holiday time.
In the neighborhood
1450 Sansom Street Philadelphia, PA 19102
- Alexander Inn
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Hyatt at The Bellevue
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown
- Le Méridien Philadelphia
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
230 Vine Street
And locations throughout Old City
Philadelphia, PA 19106
(215) 625-9200 / (800) 555-5191
- Starman in the Ancient Garden
- The Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania
- The 2015 Philadelphia Flower Show
- Campus Philly CollegeFest
- Pennsylvania Hospital
- Center City District Sips
- United States Mint
- National Liberty Museum
- Mural Arts Program
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining