Broadway touring shows in Philadelphia’s Center City
The Merriam Theater keeps with the Broadway touring tradition by importing recent hits and long running musicals for runs of varying length in Philadelphia. The theater has been extensively restored so that one can get a sense of the more elaborate days of theatergoing in the early 20th Century.
The Merriam was opened in the early 20th Century under Schubert Management when Philadelphia had a large pre-Broadway and post-Broadway touring scene. It is now run under the auspices of The University of the Arts and serves as the University’s major performance hall for students in the College of Performing Arts.
The 1,842-seat theater is also ‘‘home’‘ to a number of regional performing arts organizations.
Look out for family shows especially at holiday time.
In the neighborhood
1450 Sansom Street Philadelphia, PA 19102
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Alexander Inn
- Le Méridien Philadelphia
- Hyatt at The Bellevue
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
9th and Walnut Streets Philadelphia, PA 19107
- City Hall
- Dream Garden
- Hard Rock Cafe Philadelphia
- Walnut Street Theatre
- The Athenaeum of Philadelphia
- Mural Arts Program
- The Philadelphia History Museum at the Atwater Kent
- National Constitution Center
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining