Broadway touring shows in Philadelphia’s Center City
The Merriam Theater keeps with the Broadway touring tradition by importing recent hits and long running musicals for runs of varying length in Philadelphia. The theater has been extensively restored so that one can get a sense of the more elaborate days of theatergoing in the early 20th Century.
The Merriam was opened in the early 20th Century under Schubert Management when Philadelphia had a large pre-Broadway and post-Broadway touring scene. It is now run under the auspices of The University of the Arts and serves as the University’s major performance hall for students in the College of Performing Arts.
The 1,842-seat theater is also ‘‘home’‘ to a number of regional performing arts organizations.
Look out for family shows especially at holiday time.
In the neighborhood
1100 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
- Alexander Inn
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Holiday Inn Express
- Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
- Holiday Inn Express Midtown
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- Four Points by Sheraton Center City
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
Restaurants & Dining
12th and Arch Streets Reading Terminal Market Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Hard Rock Cafe Philadelphia
- Center City District Restaurant Week
- 1225 Raw Sushi & Sake Lounge
- Ms. Tootsie’s Restaurant Bar Lounge
- M Restaurant at the Morris House Hotel
- View more Restuarants & Dining