Broadway touring shows in Philadelphia’s Center City
The Merriam Theater keeps with the Broadway touring tradition by importing recent hits and long running musicals for runs of varying length in Philadelphia. The theater has been extensively restored so that one can get a sense of the more elaborate days of theatergoing in the early 20th Century.
The Merriam was opened in the early 20th Century under Schubert Management when Philadelphia had a large pre-Broadway and post-Broadway touring scene. It is now run under the auspices of The University of the Arts and serves as the University’s major performance hall for students in the College of Performing Arts.
The 1,842-seat theater is also ‘‘home’‘ to a number of regional performing arts organizations.
Look out for family shows especially at holiday time.
In the neighborhood
12th and Spruce Streets
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- Inn at the Union League
- Hyatt at The Bellevue
- Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Le Méridien Philadelphia
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
The Kimmel Center (Verizon Hall)
Broad & Spruce Streets
Philadelphia, PA 19102
- Pennsylvania Ballet’s The Nutcracker
- Center City District Sips
- Campus Philly College Day
- Philadelphia International
Festival of the Arts (PIFA)
- The Wilma Theater
- Pennsylvania Ballet
- KAWS @ PAFA
- PIFA Street Fair
- Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame and Adolph and Rose Levis Sports Museum
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining