Broadway touring shows in Philadelphia’s Center City
The Merriam Theater keeps with the Broadway touring tradition by importing recent hits and long running musicals for runs of varying length in Philadelphia. The theater has been extensively restored so that one can get a sense of the more elaborate days of theatergoing in the early 20th Century.
The Merriam was opened in the early 20th Century under Schubert Management when Philadelphia had a large pre-Broadway and post-Broadway touring scene. It is now run under the auspices of The University of the Arts and serves as the University’s major performance hall for students in the College of Performing Arts.
The 1,842-seat theater is also ‘‘home’‘ to a number of regional performing arts organizations.
Look out for family shows especially at holiday time.
In the neighborhood
1450 Sansom Street Philadelphia, PA 19102
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Le Méridien Philadelphia
- Alexander Inn
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Hyatt at The Bellevue
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
Broad and Spruce Streets
The Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts
Philadelphia, PA 19102
- The Philadelphia Orchestra
- National Shrine of St. Rita of Cascia
- PIFA Street Fair
- Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts
- KAWS @ PAFA
- Pennsylvania Ballet Presents
George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker
- David Lynch: The Unified Field at PAFA
- Pennsylvania Ballet
- The Wilma Theater
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining