Broadway touring shows in Philadelphia’s Center City
The Merriam Theater keeps with the Broadway touring tradition by importing recent hits and long running musicals for runs of varying length in Philadelphia. The theater has been extensively restored so that one can get a sense of the more elaborate days of theatergoing in the early 20th Century.
The Merriam was opened in the early 20th Century under Schubert Management when Philadelphia had a large pre-Broadway and post-Broadway touring scene. It is now run under the auspices of The University of the Arts and serves as the University’s major performance hall for students in the College of Performing Arts.
The 1,842-seat theater is also ‘‘home’‘ to a number of regional performing arts organizations.
Look out for family shows especially at holiday time.
In the neighborhood
1 E. Penn Square
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Loews Philadelphia Hotel
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City
- The Morris House Hotel
- Alexander Inn
- Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District
- Hilton Garden Inn Center City
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- Rodeway Inn Center City
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
1726 Locust Street Philadelphia, PA 10103
- Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame and Adolph and Rose Levis Sports Museum
- The Rosenbach Museum and Library
- Philadelphia Chamber Music Society
- Pennsylvania Ballet
- Duck Girl
- The Philadelphia Shakespeare Theatre
- Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia
- City Hall
- Mütter Museum
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining