Broadway touring shows in Philadelphia’s Center City
The Merriam Theater keeps with the Broadway touring tradition by importing recent hits and long running musicals for runs of varying length in Philadelphia. The theater has been extensively restored so that one can get a sense of the more elaborate days of theatergoing in the early 20th Century.
The Merriam was opened in the early 20th Century under Schubert Management when Philadelphia had a large pre-Broadway and post-Broadway touring scene. It is now run under the auspices of The University of the Arts and serves as the University’s major performance hall for students in the College of Performing Arts.
The 1,842-seat theater is also ‘‘home’‘ to a number of regional performing arts organizations.
Look out for family shows especially at holiday time.
In the neighborhood
200 S. Broad Street Philadelphia, PA 19102
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Le Méridien Philadelphia
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Alexander Inn
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown
- Inn at the Union League
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
1022-1024 South Street Philadelphia, PA 19147
- Philadelphia International
Festival of the Arts (PIFA)
- Starman in the Ancient Garden
- Philly Art Experience
at Bridgette Mayer Gallery
- Philadelphia Sketch Club
- Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame and Adolph and Rose Levis Sports Museum
- Pennsylvania Hospital
- Lantern Theater Company
- Walnut Street Theatre Independence Theatre on 3
- Oktoberfest at Brauhaus Schmitz
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining