Broadway touring shows in Philadelphia’s Center City
The Merriam Theater keeps with the Broadway touring tradition by importing recent hits and long running musicals for runs of varying length in Philadelphia. The theater has been extensively restored so that one can get a sense of the more elaborate days of theatergoing in the early 20th Century.
The Merriam was opened in the early 20th Century under Schubert Management when Philadelphia had a large pre-Broadway and post-Broadway touring scene. It is now run under the auspices of The University of the Arts and serves as the University’s major performance hall for students in the College of Performing Arts.
The 1,842-seat theater is also ‘‘home’‘ to a number of regional performing arts organizations.
Look out for family shows especially at holiday time.
In the neighborhood
1201 Race Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Rodeway Inn Center City
- Alexander Inn
- Loews Philadelphia Hotel
- Philadelphia Segway Tours
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Holiday Inn Express Midtown
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- Holiday Inn Express
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
Between Chestnut and Lombard
- Art on City Hall
- Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame and Adolph and Rose Levis Sports Museum
- The Wilma Theater
- Arch Street United Methodist Church
- Holiday POPS!
- National Shrine of St. Rita of Cascia
- KAWS @ PAFA
- Pennsylvania Ballet’s The Nutcracker
- The Philadelphia Orchestra
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining