Broadway touring shows in Philadelphia’s Center City
The Merriam Theater keeps with the Broadway touring tradition by importing recent hits and long running musicals for runs of varying length in Philadelphia. The theater has been extensively restored so that one can get a sense of the more elaborate days of theatergoing in the early 20th Century.
The Merriam was opened in the early 20th Century under Schubert Management when Philadelphia had a large pre-Broadway and post-Broadway touring scene. It is now run under the auspices of The University of the Arts and serves as the University’s major performance hall for students in the College of Performing Arts.
The 1,842-seat theater is also ‘‘home’‘ to a number of regional performing arts organizations.
Look out for family shows especially at holiday time.
In the neighborhood
1234 Locust Street Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Alexander Inn
- Inn at the Union League
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- Hyatt at The Bellevue
- Le Méridien Philadelphia
- Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
8th and Locust Streets Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Washington Square
- Rustic Music
- Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame and Adolph and Rose Levis Sports Museum
- Philadelphia Sketch Club
- Oktoberfest at Brauhaus Schmitz
- Pennsylvania Hospital
- Philadelphia International
Festival of the Arts (PIFA)
- Philadelphia Theatre Company
- The Wilma Theater
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining