Broadway touring shows in Philadelphia’s Center City
The Merriam Theater keeps with the Broadway touring tradition by importing recent hits and long running musicals for runs of varying length in Philadelphia. The theater has been extensively restored so that one can get a sense of the more elaborate days of theatergoing in the early 20th Century.
The Merriam was opened in the early 20th Century under Schubert Management when Philadelphia had a large pre-Broadway and post-Broadway touring scene. It is now run under the auspices of The University of the Arts and serves as the University’s major performance hall for students in the College of Performing Arts.
The 1,842-seat theater is also ‘‘home’‘ to a number of regional performing arts organizations.
Look out for family shows especially at holiday time.
In the neighborhood
1201 Market Street Philadelphia, PA 19107
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- The Morris House Hotel
- Alexander Inn
- Rodeway Inn Center City
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
- Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District
- Holiday Inn Express Midtown
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
800 Spruce Street (enter by 8th Street entrance) Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Pig Iron Theatre Company
- Lights of Liberty
- PSFS Building
- The Bourse
- National Archives and Records Administration Mid-Atlantic Region
- United States Mint
- National Liberty Museum
- Masonic Temple
- The 2014 Philadelphia Flower Show
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining