Broadway touring shows in Philadelphia’s Center City
The Merriam Theater keeps with the Broadway touring tradition by importing recent hits and long running musicals for runs of varying length in Philadelphia. The theater has been extensively restored so that one can get a sense of the more elaborate days of theatergoing in the early 20th Century.
The Merriam was opened in the early 20th Century under Schubert Management when Philadelphia had a large pre-Broadway and post-Broadway touring scene. It is now run under the auspices of The University of the Arts and serves as the University’s major performance hall for students in the College of Performing Arts.
The 1,842-seat theater is also ‘‘home’‘ to a number of regional performing arts organizations.
Look out for family shows especially at holiday time.
In the neighborhood
237 S. Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Inn at the Union League
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown
- Hyatt at The Bellevue
- Le Méridien Philadelphia
- Alexander Inn
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts
260 S. Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102
- Oktoberfest at Brauhaus Schmitz
- Lantern Theater Company
- Philly Art Experience
at Bridgette Mayer Gallery
- Philly Pops Christmas Spectacular
- Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame and Adolph and Rose Levis Sports Museum
- Walnut Street Theatre Independence Theatre on 3
- Washington Square
- Philadelphia Theatre Company
- Rustic Music
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining