Broadway touring shows in Philadelphia’s Center City
The Merriam Theater keeps with the Broadway touring tradition by importing recent hits and long running musicals for runs of varying length in Philadelphia. The theater has been extensively restored so that one can get a sense of the more elaborate days of theatergoing in the early 20th Century.
The Merriam was opened in the early 20th Century under Schubert Management when Philadelphia had a large pre-Broadway and post-Broadway touring scene. It is now run under the auspices of The University of the Arts and serves as the University’s major performance hall for students in the College of Performing Arts.
The 1,842-seat theater is also ‘‘home’‘ to a number of regional performing arts organizations.
Look out for family shows especially at holiday time.
In the neighborhood
220 S 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Sonesta Hotel Philadelphia
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- The Westin Philadelphia
- Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel
- Hotel Palomar Philadelphia
- AKA Rittenhouse Square
- The Rittenhouse
- Sofitel Philadelphia
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
The Academy of Music 1420 Locust Street Philadelphia, PA 19104
- Philly POPS! On Independence 2015
- Center City District Sips
- Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts
- Pennsylvania Ballet
- National Shrine of St. Rita of Cascia
- Art on City Hall
- KAWS @ PAFA
- The Philadelphia Orchestra
- Arch Street United Methodist Church
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining