Broadway touring shows in Philadelphia’s Center City
The Merriam Theater keeps with the Broadway touring tradition by importing recent hits and long running musicals for runs of varying length in Philadelphia. The theater has been extensively restored so that one can get a sense of the more elaborate days of theatergoing in the early 20th Century.
The Merriam was opened in the early 20th Century under Schubert Management when Philadelphia had a large pre-Broadway and post-Broadway touring scene. It is now run under the auspices of The University of the Arts and serves as the University’s major performance hall for students in the College of Performing Arts.
The 1,842-seat theater is also ‘‘home’‘ to a number of regional performing arts organizations.
Look out for family shows especially at holiday time.
In the neighborhood
1201 Race Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Rodeway Inn Center City
- Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District
- Loews Philadelphia Hotel
- Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
- Holiday Inn Express
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
6th and Race Streets Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Mural Arts Program
- United States Mint
- The African American Museum in Philadelphia
- Pennsylvania Hospital
- National Archives and Records Administration Mid-Atlantic Region
- St. Stephen’s Protestant Episcopal Church
- Hard Rock Cafe Philadelphia
- Dream Garden
- Center City District Sips
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining