Broadway touring shows in Philadelphia’s Center City
The Merriam Theater keeps with the Broadway touring tradition by importing recent hits and long running musicals for runs of varying length in Philadelphia. The theater has been extensively restored so that one can get a sense of the more elaborate days of theatergoing in the early 20th Century.
The Merriam was opened in the early 20th Century under Schubert Management when Philadelphia had a large pre-Broadway and post-Broadway touring scene. It is now run under the auspices of The University of the Arts and serves as the University’s major performance hall for students in the College of Performing Arts.
The 1,842-seat theater is also ‘‘home’‘ to a number of regional performing arts organizations.
Look out for family shows especially at holiday time.
In the neighborhood
200 S. Broad Street Philadelphia, PA 19102
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Inn at the Union League
- Le Méridien Philadelphia
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown
- Alexander Inn
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
1420 Locust Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
- Center City District Sips
- United States Mint
- National Archives and Records Administration Mid-Atlantic Region
- Dream Garden
- Hard Rock Cafe Philadelphia
- Starman in the Ancient Garden
- The Philadelphia History Museum at the Atwater Kent
- Pennsylvania Hospital
- The 2014 Philadelphia Flower Show
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining