Broadway touring shows in Philadelphia’s Center City
The Merriam Theater keeps with the Broadway touring tradition by importing recent hits and long running musicals for runs of varying length in Philadelphia. The theater has been extensively restored so that one can get a sense of the more elaborate days of theatergoing in the early 20th Century.
The Merriam was opened in the early 20th Century under Schubert Management when Philadelphia had a large pre-Broadway and post-Broadway touring scene. It is now run under the auspices of The University of the Arts and serves as the University’s major performance hall for students in the College of Performing Arts.
The 1,842-seat theater is also ‘‘home’‘ to a number of regional performing arts organizations.
Look out for family shows especially at holiday time.
In the neighborhood
220 S 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- The Westin Philadelphia
- Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel
- AKA Rittenhouse Square
- Hyatt at The Bellevue
- Inn at the Union League
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- Sofitel Philadelphia
- Sonesta Hotel Philadelphia
- ROOST Apartment Hotel
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
480 S. Broad Street Suzanne Roberts Theatre Philadelphia, PA 19146
- Center City District Sips
- Philly POPS! On Independence 2015
- Pennsylvania Ballet
- Art on City Hall
- Philadelphia International
Festival of the Arts (PIFA)
- Pennsylvania Ballet Presents
George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker
- Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame and Adolph and Rose Levis Sports Museum
- Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts
- The Philadelphia Orchestra
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining