Broadway touring shows in Philadelphia’s Center City
The Merriam Theater keeps with the Broadway touring tradition by importing recent hits and long running musicals for runs of varying length in Philadelphia. The theater has been extensively restored so that one can get a sense of the more elaborate days of theatergoing in the early 20th Century.
The Merriam was opened in the early 20th Century under Schubert Management when Philadelphia had a large pre-Broadway and post-Broadway touring scene. It is now run under the auspices of The University of the Arts and serves as the University’s major performance hall for students in the College of Performing Arts.
The 1,842-seat theater is also ‘‘home’‘ to a number of regional performing arts organizations.
Look out for family shows especially at holiday time.
In the neighborhood
10 Avenue of the Arts
Philadelphia, PA 19102
- Holiday Inn Express Midtown
- Loews Philadelphia Hotel
- Holiday Inn Express
- Four Points by Sheraton Center City
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- Alexander Inn
- Rodeway Inn Center City
- Philadelphia Segway Tours
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
The Academy of Music 1420 Locust Street Philadelphia, PA 19104
- Art on City Hall
- KAWS @ PAFA
- Arch Street United Methodist Church
- Holiday POPS!
- National Shrine of St. Rita of Cascia
- Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame and Adolph and Rose Levis Sports Museum
- PIFA Street Fair
- The Wilma Theater
- The Philadelphia Orchestra
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining