Broadway touring shows in Philadelphia’s Center City
The Merriam Theater keeps with the Broadway touring tradition by importing recent hits and long running musicals for runs of varying length in Philadelphia. The theater has been extensively restored so that one can get a sense of the more elaborate days of theatergoing in the early 20th Century.
The Merriam was opened in the early 20th Century under Schubert Management when Philadelphia had a large pre-Broadway and post-Broadway touring scene. It is now run under the auspices of The University of the Arts and serves as the University’s major performance hall for students in the College of Performing Arts.
The 1,842-seat theater is also ‘‘home’‘ to a number of regional performing arts organizations.
Look out for family shows especially at holiday time.
In the neighborhood
21 N. Juniper Street Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Inn at the Union League
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- Alexander Inn
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Hyatt at The Bellevue
- Le Méridien Philadelphia
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
Broad Street and Spruce Street Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Art on City Hall
- Philadelphia Music Alliance Walk of Fame
- The Philadelphia Orchestra
- Arch Street United Methodist Church
- Pennsylvania Ballet
- Pennsylvania Ballet Presents
George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker
- Philadelphia Theatre Company
- KAWS @ PAFA
- Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame and Adolph and Rose Levis Sports Museum
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining