Broadway touring shows in Philadelphia’s Center City
The Merriam Theater keeps with the Broadway touring tradition by importing recent hits and long running musicals for runs of varying length in Philadelphia. The theater has been extensively restored so that one can get a sense of the more elaborate days of theatergoing in the early 20th Century.
The Merriam was opened in the early 20th Century under Schubert Management when Philadelphia had a large pre-Broadway and post-Broadway touring scene. It is now run under the auspices of The University of the Arts and serves as the University’s major performance hall for students in the College of Performing Arts.
The 1,842-seat theater is also ‘‘home’‘ to a number of regional performing arts organizations.
Look out for family shows especially at holiday time.
In the neighborhood
12th and Spruce Streets
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Hyatt at The Bellevue
- Inn at the Union League
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Le Méridien Philadelphia
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
900 Market Street Philadelphia, PA 19107
- The African American Museum in Philadelphia
- City Hall
- The Bourse
- Campus Philly CollegeFest
- Franklin Square
- The Academy of Music
- Center City District Sips
- Philadelphia Rock ‘n’ Roll Half-Marathon
- The Fabric Workshop and Museum
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining