Broadway touring shows in Philadelphia’s Center City
The Merriam Theater keeps with the Broadway touring tradition by importing recent hits and long running musicals for runs of varying length in Philadelphia. The theater has been extensively restored so that one can get a sense of the more elaborate days of theatergoing in the early 20th Century.
The Merriam was opened in the early 20th Century under Schubert Management when Philadelphia had a large pre-Broadway and post-Broadway touring scene. It is now run under the auspices of The University of the Arts and serves as the University’s major performance hall for students in the College of Performing Arts.
The 1,842-seat theater is also ‘‘home’‘ to a number of regional performing arts organizations.
Look out for family shows especially at holiday time.
In the neighborhood
1301 Race Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Holiday Inn Express Midtown
- Holiday Inn Express
- Alexander Inn
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
- Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District
- Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
The Academy of Music 1420 Locust Street Philadelphia, PA 19104
- Holiday POPS!
- Art on City Hall
- Pennsylvania Ballet
- Philadelphia International
Festival of the Arts (PIFA)
- Campus Philly College Day
- Philadelphia Theatre Company
- Center City District Sips
- Arch Street United Methodist Church
- Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame and Adolph and Rose Levis Sports Museum
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining