Broadway touring shows in Philadelphia’s Center City
The Merriam Theater keeps with the Broadway touring tradition by importing recent hits and long running musicals for runs of varying length in Philadelphia. The theater has been extensively restored so that one can get a sense of the more elaborate days of theatergoing in the early 20th Century.
The Merriam was opened in the early 20th Century under Schubert Management when Philadelphia had a large pre-Broadway and post-Broadway touring scene. It is now run under the auspices of The University of the Arts and serves as the University’s major performance hall for students in the College of Performing Arts.
The 1,842-seat theater is also ‘‘home’‘ to a number of regional performing arts organizations.
Look out for family shows especially at holiday time.
In the neighborhood
1201 Market Street Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Rodeway Inn Center City
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Alexander Inn
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
- Holiday Inn Express Midtown
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
Broad Street and Market Street Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Philly POPS! On Independence 2014
- PIFA Street Fair
- Pennsylvania Ballet Presents
George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker
- National Shrine of St. Rita of Cascia
- Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame and Adolph and Rose Levis Sports Museum
- The Wilma Theater
- The Philadelphia Orchestra
- Philadelphia Theatre Company
- Philadelphia International
Festival of the Arts (PIFA)
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining