Broadway touring shows in Philadelphia’s Center City
The Merriam Theater keeps with the Broadway touring tradition by importing recent hits and long running musicals for runs of varying length in Philadelphia. The theater has been extensively restored so that one can get a sense of the more elaborate days of theatergoing in the early 20th Century.
The Merriam was opened in the early 20th Century under Schubert Management when Philadelphia had a large pre-Broadway and post-Broadway touring scene. It is now run under the auspices of The University of the Arts and serves as the University’s major performance hall for students in the College of Performing Arts.
The 1,842-seat theater is also ‘‘home’‘ to a number of regional performing arts organizations.
Look out for family shows especially at holiday time.
In the neighborhood
1201 Race Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Hilton Garden Inn Center City
- Loews Philadelphia Hotel
- Holiday Inn Express Midtown
- The Morris House Hotel
- Rodeway Inn Center City
- Alexander Inn
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Holiday Inn Express
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- KAWS @ PAFA
- National Shrine of St. Rita of Cascia
- PIFA Street Fair
- The Wilma Theater
- Pennsylvania Ballet
- The Philadelphia Orchestra
- Arch Street United Methodist Church
- David Lynch: The Unified Field at PAFA
- Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame and Adolph and Rose Levis Sports Museum
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining