Broadway touring shows in Philadelphia’s Center City
The Merriam Theater keeps with the Broadway touring tradition by importing recent hits and long running musicals for runs of varying length in Philadelphia. The theater has been extensively restored so that one can get a sense of the more elaborate days of theatergoing in the early 20th Century.
The Merriam was opened in the early 20th Century under Schubert Management when Philadelphia had a large pre-Broadway and post-Broadway touring scene. It is now run under the auspices of The University of the Arts and serves as the University’s major performance hall for students in the College of Performing Arts.
The 1,842-seat theater is also ‘‘home’‘ to a number of regional performing arts organizations.
Look out for family shows especially at holiday time.
In the neighborhood
Museums & Attractions
Between Chestnut and Lombard
- Art on City Hall
- Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame and Adolph and Rose Levis Sports Museum
- Lion Crushing a Serpent
- Plays and Players Theater
- Philly POPS! On Independence 2015
- The PFS Roxy Theater
- City Hall
- Concerts in the Park – Rittenhouse Square Summer Concert Series
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
1225 Sansom Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Campus Philly CollegeFest
- Taste of Philadelphia Food Tour
- Zavino Pizzeria and Wine Bar
- Percy Street Barbecue
- National Mechanics
- Tria – Wine Beer & Cheese Café
- El Vez
- M Restaurant at the Morris House Hotel
- View more Restuarants & Dining