Broadway touring shows in Philadelphia’s Center City
The Merriam Theater keeps with the Broadway touring tradition by importing recent hits and long running musicals for runs of varying length in Philadelphia. The theater has been extensively restored so that one can get a sense of the more elaborate days of theatergoing in the early 20th Century.
The Merriam was opened in the early 20th Century under Schubert Management when Philadelphia had a large pre-Broadway and post-Broadway touring scene. It is now run under the auspices of The University of the Arts and serves as the University’s major performance hall for students in the College of Performing Arts.
The 1,842-seat theater is also ‘‘home’‘ to a number of regional performing arts organizations.
Look out for family shows especially at holiday time.
In the neighborhood
Museums & Attractions
13th and Chestnut Streets Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame and Adolph and Rose Levis Sports Museum
- Philly POPS! On Independence 2014
- Philadelphia International
Festival of the Arts (PIFA)
- Lantern Theater Company
- Philadelphia’s Magic Gardens
- Oktoberfest at Brauhaus Schmitz
- Walnut Street Theatre
- Rustic Music
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
12th and Spruce Streets
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- The Bourse
- Center City District Sips
- National Mechanics
- Reading Terminal Market’s Pennsylvania Dutch Festival
- Bank & Bourbon
- Taste of Philadelphia Food Tour
- View more Restuarants & Dining