Broadway touring shows in Philadelphia’s Center City
The Merriam Theater keeps with the Broadway touring tradition by importing recent hits and long running musicals for runs of varying length in Philadelphia. The theater has been extensively restored so that one can get a sense of the more elaborate days of theatergoing in the early 20th Century.
The Merriam was opened in the early 20th Century under Schubert Management when Philadelphia had a large pre-Broadway and post-Broadway touring scene. It is now run under the auspices of The University of the Arts and serves as the University’s major performance hall for students in the College of Performing Arts.
The 1,842-seat theater is also ‘‘home’‘ to a number of regional performing arts organizations.
Look out for family shows especially at holiday time.
In the neighborhood
Museums & Attractions
2023 Sansom St Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Rittenhouse Square
- Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame and Adolph and Rose Levis Sports Museum
- The Academy of Vocal Arts
- Pennsylvania Ballet
- Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts
- Pennsylvania Guild Fine Craft Fair
- Lion Crushing a Serpent
- First Unitarian Church
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
926 South Street Philadelphia, PA 19107
- M Restaurant at the Morris House Hotel
- 1225 Raw Sushi & Sake Lounge
- Reading Terminal Market
- Hard Rock Cafe Philadelphia
- Ms. Tootsie’s Restaurant Bar Lounge
- Center City District Sips
- Bank & Bourbon
- View more Restuarants & Dining