Broadway touring shows in Philadelphia’s Center City
The Merriam Theater keeps with the Broadway touring tradition by importing recent hits and long running musicals for runs of varying length in Philadelphia. The theater has been extensively restored so that one can get a sense of the more elaborate days of theatergoing in the early 20th Century.
The Merriam was opened in the early 20th Century under Schubert Management when Philadelphia had a large pre-Broadway and post-Broadway touring scene. It is now run under the auspices of The University of the Arts and serves as the University’s major performance hall for students in the College of Performing Arts.
The 1,842-seat theater is also ‘‘home’‘ to a number of regional performing arts organizations.
Look out for family shows especially at holiday time.
250 S. Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102
In the neighborhood
237 S. Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- The Morris House Hotel
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Loews Philadelphia Hotel
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Hilton Garden Inn Center City
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District
- Rodeway Inn Center City
- Four Points by Sheraton Center City
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
The Academy of Music 1420 Locust Street Philadelphia, PA 19104
- The Philadelphia Orchestra
- The Wilma Theater
- Holiday POPS!
- Center City District Sips
- Arch Street United Methodist Church
- Philadelphia International
Festival of the Arts (PIFA)
- Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame and Adolph and Rose Levis Sports Museum
- Campus Philly College Day
- Philadelphia Theatre Company
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining