Mural Arts Program
Creators of more than 3,600 city murals since 1984
Celebrating 30 Years of Murals
Founded as an anti-graffiti program in 1984, Mural Arts has evolved and expanded into an internationally recognized leader in community-based public art. Over the past 30 years, Mural Arts has served more than 30,000 people and created more than 3,600 incredible works throughout the city of Philadelphia.
To celebrate their incredible milestone, Mural Arts is planning a number of capstone projects involving local talent and world-renowned artists. For more information, click the button below.
In Philadelphia, every wall is a potential blank canvas, and stunning murals adorn building exteriors all over the city.
Begun in 1984 to help eradicate graffiti, the Mural Arts Program enables professional artists and young Philadelphians to showcase their artistic talent in a constructive way. To date, the program has produced more than 3,600 murals.
Interested visitors can view several of these works on a variety walking, biking and trolley tours. Most tours depart from the Mural Arts at The Gallery location, complete with a ticket office, exhibit space and retail store.
Learn more about Mural Arts and upcoming events by clicking the button below.
The Mural Arts Program unveiled Love Letter, a public art project consisting of 50 rooftop murals from 45th to 63rd Street along the Market Street corridor…and you can tour them.
Tours depart from Love Park (meet by the sculpture) for a ride on the El train, accompanied by a Mural Arts Program tour guide. The murals are best viewed via the Market-Frankford elevated transit line, and “collectively express a love letter from a guy to a girl, from an artist to his hometown, and from local residents to their West Philadelphia neighborhood.”
In the neighborhood
1301 Race Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Hilton Garden Inn Center City
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Holiday Inn Express Midtown
- Alexander Inn
- The Morris House Hotel
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Rodeway Inn Center City
- Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District
- Four Points by Sheraton Center City
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
1300 Market Street Macy's Grand Court Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Campus Philly CollegeFest
- The 2015 Philadelphia Flower Show
- The Fabric Workshop and Museum
- National Archives and Records Administration Mid-Atlantic Region
- The African American Museum in Philadelphia
- The Philadelphia History Museum at the Atwater Kent
- PSFS Building
- First Friday
- Pennsylvania Hospital
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
1216 Spruce Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Hard Rock Cafe Philadelphia
- Center City District Restaurant Week
- Ms. Tootsie’s Restaurant Bar Lounge
- Tommy DiNic’s Roast Pork and Beef
- Garces Trading Company
- Tria – Wine Beer & Cheese Café
- View more Restuarants & Dining