Mural Arts Program
Creators of more than 3,600 city murals since 1984
Celebrating 30 Years of Murals
Founded as an anti-graffiti program in 1984, Mural Arts has evolved and expanded into an internationally recognized leader in community-based public art. Over the past 30 years, Mural Arts has served more than 30,000 people and created more than 3,600 incredible works throughout the city of Philadelphia.
To celebrate their incredible milestone, Mural Arts is planning a number of capstone projects involving local talent and world-renowned artists. For more information, click the button below.
In Philadelphia, every wall is a potential blank canvas, and stunning murals adorn building exteriors all over the city.
Begun in 1984 to help eradicate graffiti, the Mural Arts Program enables professional artists and young Philadelphians to showcase their artistic talent in a constructive way. To date, the program has produced more than 3,600 murals.
Interested visitors can view several of these works on a variety walking, biking and trolley tours. Most tours depart from the Mural Arts at The Gallery location, complete with a ticket office, exhibit space and retail store.
Learn more about Mural Arts and upcoming events by clicking the button below.
The Mural Arts Program unveiled Love Letter, a public art project consisting of 50 rooftop murals from 45th to 63rd Street along the Market Street corridor…and you can tour them.
Tours depart from Love Park (meet by the sculpture) for a ride on the El train, accompanied by a Mural Arts Program tour guide. The murals are best viewed via the Market-Frankford elevated transit line, and “collectively express a love letter from a guy to a girl, from an artist to his hometown, and from local residents to their West Philadelphia neighborhood.”
In the neighborhood
10 Avenue of the Arts
Philadelphia, PA 19102
- Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
- Hilton Garden Inn Center City
- The Morris House Hotel
- Alexander Inn
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- Holiday Inn Express Midtown
- Holiday Inn Express
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
1214 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- National Museum of American Jewish History
- Starman in the Ancient Garden
- The Philadelphia History Museum at the Atwater Kent
- First Friday
- Franklin Square
- United States Mint
- The Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania
- St. Stephen’s Protestant Episcopal Church
- The African American Museum in Philadelphia
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
112 S. 13th Street Philadelphia, PA
- Center City District Sips
- Reading Terminal Market’s Pennsylvania Dutch Festival
- Campus Philly CollegeFest
- Tria – Wine Beer & Cheese Café
- Percy Street Barbecue
- Center City District Restaurant Week
- Bank & Bourbon
- View more Restuarants & Dining