Mural Arts Program
Creators of more than 3,600 city murals since 1984
In Philadelphia, every wall is a potential blank canvas, and stunning murals adorn building exteriors all over the city.
Begun in 1984 to help eradicate graffiti, the Mural Arts Program enables professional artists and young Philadelphians to showcase their artistic talent in a constructive way. To date, the program has produced more than 3,600 murals.
Interested visitors can view several of these works on a variety walking and trolley tours. Most tours depart from the Mural Arts at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts location.
Learn more about Mural Arts and upcoming events by clicking the button below.
The Mural Arts Program unveiled Love Letter, a public art project consisting of 50 rooftop murals from 45th to 63rd Street along the Market Street corridor…and you can tour them.
Tours depart from Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, 128 N. Board Street. The murals are best viewed via the Market-Frankford elevated transit line, and “collectively express a love letter from a guy to a girl, from an artist to his hometown, and from local residents to their West Philadelphia neighborhood.”
In the neighborhood
1201 Race Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown
- Loews Philadelphia Hotel
- Home2 Suites by Hilton Philadelphia–
- Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City Convention Center
- Le Méridien Philadelphia
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
112 Chestnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19106
- National Liberty Museum
- Washington Square
- The Bourse
- Declaration (Graff) House
- Independence Hall
- The Philadelphia History Museum at the Atwater Kent
- The Fabric Workshop and Museum
- The Athenaeum of Philadelphia
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining