Mural Arts Program
Creators of more than 3,600 city murals since 1984
Celebrating 30 Years of Murals
Founded as an anti-graffiti program in 1984, Mural Arts has evolved and expanded into an internationally recognized leader in community-based public art. Over the past 30 years, Mural Arts has served more than 30,000 people and created more than 3,600 incredible works throughout the city of Philadelphia.
To celebrate their incredible milestone, Mural Arts is planning a number of capstone projects involving local talent and world-renowned artists. For more information, click the button below.
In Philadelphia, every wall is a potential blank canvas, and stunning murals adorn building exteriors all over the city.
Begun in 1984 to help eradicate graffiti, the Mural Arts Program enables professional artists and young Philadelphians to showcase their artistic talent in a constructive way. To date, the program has produced more than 3,600 murals.
Interested visitors can view several of these works on a variety walking, biking and trolley tours. Most tours depart from the Mural Arts at The Gallery location, complete with a ticket office, exhibit space and retail store.
Learn more about Mural Arts and upcoming events by clicking the button below.
The Mural Arts Program unveiled Love Letter, a public art project consisting of 50 rooftop murals from 45th to 63rd Street along the Market Street corridor…and you can tour them.
Tours depart from Love Park (meet by the sculpture) for a ride on the El train, accompanied by a Mural Arts Program tour guide. The murals are best viewed via the Market-Frankford elevated transit line, and “collectively express a love letter from a guy to a girl, from an artist to his hometown, and from local residents to their West Philadelphia neighborhood.”
In the neighborhood
1234 Locust Street Philadelphia, PA 19103
- The Morris House Hotel
- Alexander Inn
- Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- Hilton Garden Inn Center City
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Loews Philadelphia Hotel
- Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
1200 Market Street The Loews Philadelphia Hotel Philadelphia, PA 19107
- The Fabric Workshop and Museum
- The African American Museum in Philadelphia
- The Philadelphia History Museum at the Atwater Kent
- Emergence of a Modern Metropolis Walking Tour
- PIFA Street Fair
- Philadelphia Museum of Art
- AIA Bookstore & Design Center
- Masonic Temple
- Center for Architecture
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
1200 Market Street Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Wok & Walk Tour of Chinatown
- Reading Terminal Market
- Hard Rock Cafe Philadelphia
- Reading Terminal Market
- 10 Arts Bistro & Lounge
- Capital Grille
- Reading Terminal Market’s Pennsylvania Dutch Festival
- Taste of Philadelphia Food Tour
- View more Restuarants & Dining