Mural Arts Program
Creators of more than 3,600 city murals since 1984
Celebrating 30 Years of Murals
Founded as an anti-graffiti program in 1984, Mural Arts has evolved and expanded into an internationally recognized leader in community-based public art. Over the past 30 years, Mural Arts has served more than 30,000 people and created more than 3,600 incredible works throughout the city of Philadelphia.
To celebrate their incredible milestone, Mural Arts is planning a number of capstone projects involving local talent and world-renowned artists. For more information, click the button below.
In Philadelphia, every wall is a potential blank canvas, and stunning murals adorn building exteriors all over the city.
Begun in 1984 to help eradicate graffiti, the Mural Arts Program enables professional artists and young Philadelphians to showcase their artistic talent in a constructive way. To date, the program has produced more than 3,600 murals.
Interested visitors can view several of these works on a variety walking, biking and trolley tours. Most tours depart from the Mural Arts at The Gallery location, complete with a ticket office, exhibit space and retail store.
Learn more about Mural Arts and upcoming events by clicking the button below.
The Mural Arts Program unveiled Love Letter, a public art project consisting of 50 rooftop murals from 45th to 63rd Street along the Market Street corridor…and you can tour them.
Tours depart from Love Park (meet by the sculpture) for a ride on the El train, accompanied by a Mural Arts Program tour guide. The murals are best viewed via the Market-Frankford elevated transit line, and “collectively express a love letter from a guy to a girl, from an artist to his hometown, and from local residents to their West Philadelphia neighborhood.”
In the neighborhood
1234 Locust Street Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Hilton Garden Inn Center City
- Alexander Inn
- Holiday Inn Express
- Loews Philadelphia Hotel
- Four Points by Sheraton Center City
- Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District
- Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
825 Walnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Pig Iron Theatre Company
- Franklin Square
- National Museum of American Jewish History
- St. Stephen’s Protestant Episcopal Church
- Merriam Theater
- The Fabric Workshop and Museum
- Hard Rock Cafe Philadelphia
- The 2014 Philadelphia Flower Show
- National Constitution Center
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
12th and Arch Streets
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Taste of Philadelphia Food Tour
- Bank & Bourbon
- Ms. Tootsie’s Restaurant Bar Lounge
- National Mechanics
- Reading Terminal Market’s Pennsylvania Dutch Festival
- View more Restuarants & Dining