Pig Iron Theatre Company
Exuberant dance, clown, theater ensemble
As co-conspirators in setting theater on its ears, Pig Iron’s artistic directors studied under Jacque LeCoq, the late French theater pioneer whose innovative approach to the stage incorporated mask and movement. Producing only new, self-generated works, they have honed their edgy, exploratory and exuberant work into high art.
From shadow puppets to clowns to trans-art productions where the cast mimes not just the narrative but the props as well, their ensemble-driven shows have won fans around the world. Pig Iron has performed in Poland, Brazil and the Edinburgh Festival, where it was presented the “Spirit of the Fringe” award.
Revved up with unorthodox notions about theater, a group of Swarthmore College grads fused their talents, launching Pig Iron in 1995. Their upside-down approach worked, attracting collaborations with director Joseph Chaikin, an NEA grant and an invitation to perform at the granddaddy of all arts festivals, the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
Insider Tip Pig Iron Theatre Company got its name from the counter-balance weight that is used backstage to maneuver scenery, curtains, etc.
Kids’ Shows Although not specifically developed for children, some shows are family-friendly. Call for details.
In the neighborhood
1301 Race Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Rodeway Inn Center City
- Four Points by Sheraton Center City
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Holiday Inn Express
- Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- Hilton Garden Inn Center City
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
Restaurants & Dining
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Reading Terminal Market’s Pennsylvania Dutch Festival
- Garces Trading Company
- Reading Terminal Market
- National Mechanics
- Zavino Pizzeria and Wine Bar
- Taste of Philadelphia Food Tour
- View more Restuarants & Dining