Starman in the Ancient Garden
1990 by Brower Hatcher
An enormous bronze face has streaked from the heavens and crashed into a classical courtyard.
Above it, a comet-like tail of steel mesh angles 27 feet into the sky. Miscellaneous objects, animals and even a small person float inside the mesh — apparently items that Starman has accumulated during his travels.
This mysterious sculpture by Brower Hatcher makes you think about the changes in civilization from past to present to future.
In the neighborhood
Museums & Attractions
Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts
260 S. Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102
- Midtown Village Fall Festival
- Philadelphia’s Magic Gardens
- Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame and Adolph and Rose Levis Sports Museum
- Philadelphia Sketch Club
- Philadelphia Theatre Company
- Holiday POPS!
- Pennsylvania Ballet
- The Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
217-219 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
- M Restaurant at the Morris House Hotel
- Bank & Bourbon
- Garces Trading Company
- Hard Rock Cafe Philadelphia
- Tommy DiNic’s Roast Pork and Beef
- El Vez
- Center City District Sips
- Center City District Restaurant Week
- View more Restuarants & Dining