Starman in the Ancient Garden
1990 by Brower Hatcher
An enormous bronze face has streaked from the heavens and crashed into a classical courtyard.
Above it, a comet-like tail of steel mesh angles 27 feet into the sky. Miscellaneous objects, animals and even a small person float inside the mesh — apparently items that Starman has accumulated during his travels.
This mysterious sculpture by Brower Hatcher makes you think about the changes in civilization from past to present to future.
In the neighborhood
Museums & Attractions
1 N Independence Mall W.
Philadelphia, PA 19106
- National Liberty Museum
- The Athenaeum of Philadelphia
- Merriam Theater
- City Hall
- National Museum of American Jewish History
- Declaration (Graff) House
- Hard Rock Cafe Philadelphia
- Independence Visitor Center
- Philadelphia Open Studio Tours
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
160 N. 3rd Street Philadelphia, PA 19106
- The Twisted Tail
- Center City District Restaurant Week
- Taste of Philadelphia Food Tour
- The Khyber
- The Plough & The Stars
- Talula’s Daily
- Reading Terminal Market’s Pennsylvania Dutch Festival
- View more Restuarants & Dining