Starman in the Ancient Garden
1990 by Brower Hatcher
An enormous bronze face has streaked from the heavens and crashed into a classical courtyard.
Above it, a comet-like tail of steel mesh angles 27 feet into the sky. Miscellaneous objects, animals and even a small person float inside the mesh — apparently items that Starman has accumulated during his travels.
This mysterious sculpture by Brower Hatcher makes you think about the changes in civilization from past to present to future.
In the neighborhood
Museums & Attractions
800 Spruce Street (enter by 8th Street entrance) Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame and Adolph and Rose Levis Sports Museum
- The Philadelphia Orchestra
- Oktoberfest at Brauhaus Schmitz
- The Wilma Theater
- Lantern Theater Company
- Pennsylvania Ballet
- Walnut Street Theatre
- Philadelphia Music Alliance Walk of Fame
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
718 South St.
Philadelphia, PA 19147
- Ms. Tootsie’s Restaurant Bar Lounge
- Tria – Wine Beer & Cheese Café
- Garces Trading Company
- Green Eggs Cafe – Midtown Village
- Capogiro Gelato Artisans
- Capital Grille
- Zavino Pizzeria and Wine Bar
- View more Restuarants & Dining