Starman in the Ancient Garden
1990 by Brower Hatcher
An enormous bronze face has streaked from the heavens and crashed into a classical courtyard.
Above it, a comet-like tail of steel mesh angles 27 feet into the sky. Miscellaneous objects, animals and even a small person float inside the mesh — apparently items that Starman has accumulated during his travels.
This mysterious sculpture by Brower Hatcher makes you think about the changes in civilization from past to present to future.
In the neighborhood
Museums & Attractions
800 Spruce Street (enter by 8th Street entrance) Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Walnut Street Theatre
- Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame and Adolph and Rose Levis Sports Museum
- Midtown Village Fall Festival
- The Academy of Music
- The Philadelphia Orchestra
- Washington Square
- Philly Pops Christmas Spectacular
- Philadelphia Theatre Company
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining