The Awesome Fest
8 weeks of free outdoor movie screenings in parks across the city
June 26-August 14, 2015
Note: The information below is from 2014. Stay tuned for more information about this year’s event as it becomes available.
The Awesome Fest returns for the summer with free movie nights at multiple locations all across Philadelphia.
The outdoor movie festival kicks off with a screening of Riot on the Dance Floor, a film about City Gardens, a former punk music venue in Trenton, at Clark Park.
Expect eight weeks of rocking good times as The Awesome Fest takes the theme of “The Soundtrack of Awesome”, a rock and roll theme featuring a slew of music-centric films and performances.
Over the course of the summer, look forward to screenings of feature films, yet-to-be-released blockbusters, independent films and well-loved classics.
Note that all films begin at dusk, which ranges from 8 to 8:30 p.m. in the summer.
- Clark Park: Thursdays, June 26-August 14. The outdoor movie series begins on Thursday, June 26 with the screening of Riot on the Dance Floor at Clark Park. Beyond opening night screening, Clark Park continues to host outdoor movies on Thursday evenings through Thursday, August 14 — with the exception of July 31.
- The Oval Fridays: July 18-August 15. The Oval, the pop-up park on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, gets in on the action with movie screenings on Fridays from July 18 to August 15. The Oval hosts the centerpiece event on Friday, July 18, a screening of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and a performance by Macaulay Culkin’s band, Pizza Underground and a giant pizza party.
- Liberty Lands Park: Saturdays, June 28-August 16. Liberty Lands Park in Northern Liberties welcomes festival-goers for free movie screenings on Saturday from June 28 through August 16 — with the exception of July 19.
- The Trocadero: Mondays, June 30-August 11. The Trocadero hosts indoor movie nights on Monday evenings from June 30 through August 11 and a closing night event on August 17.
Outdoor Movie Picks
- Riot on the Dance Floor at Clark Park: Thursday, June 26. Celebrate night one of The Awesome Fest with the Philadelphia premiere of Riot on the Dance Floor, a film about City Gardens, a former punk music venue in Trenton.
- The Wizard Of Oz synced with Pink Floyd’s Dark Side Of the Moon at Clark Park: Thursday, July 10. In celebration of the 75th-anniversary of The Wizard of Oz, The Awesome Fest teams up with 102.9 WMGK to screen the film as Pink Floyd’s Dark Side Of the Moon plays over the speakers.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles at The Oval: Friday, July 18. As part of the centerpiece event, The Oval screens the well-loved ’90s film Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on July 18.
- Dazed and Confused at Liberty Lands Park: Saturday, July 26. Spend your Saturday night watching Dazed and Confused, a cult classic about the last day of school for a group of high school students in 1976.
- Wayne’s World at The Oval: Friday, August 15. Catch a screening of Wayne’s World, a wildly popular ’90s film that blossomed from a Saturday Night Live skit.
- The Pizza Underground at The Oval: Friday, July 18. The Oval hosts the centerpiece event on Friday, July 18, a screening of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and a performance by Macaulay Culkin’s band, Pizza Underground and a giant pizza party.
- The 2nd-Annual (Kevin) Bacon Fest at The Oval: Friday, August 1. For the second year in a row, The Awesome Fest salutes Kevin Bacon (a local guy!) with (Kevin) Bacon Fest at The Oval. Indulge in an array of bacon-centric treats from food trucks, take part in bacon-themed contests, watch a bacon launch into Outer Space and much more. The festivities close out with a screening of Apollo 13.
- ’90s Prom on the Parkway Featuring The Bayside Tigers at The Oval: Friday, August 8. Don your finest ’90s prom attire (neon outfits!) for the Prom on the Parkway, an evening of food trucks, a beer gardens, a photo booth and a free concert from ’90s cover band, The Bayside Tigers. Dress to impress, prom king and queen receive prizes.
- Purple Rain 30th-anniversary Screening at The Trocadero: Monday, August 11. Sing your heart our to your favorite Prince tunes as The Trocadero screens Purple Rain in celebration of the film’s 30th-anniversary. Before and after the movie, take part in Prince-centric karaoke.
For a full list of screenings and more information, click the button below.
In the neighborhood
Museums & Attractions
N 15th Street and Market Street Philadelphia, PA 19102
- Fairmount Water Works Interpretive Center
- Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
- Aero Memorial
- Moore College of Art and Design
- Philadelphia Rock ‘n’ Roll Half-Marathon
- All Wars Memorial to Colored Soldiers and Sailors
- Washington Monument
- Henry J. Cadbury Library
- KAWS @ PAFA
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining