Nodding Head Brewery and Restaurant
Delicious craft brews and food hidden away upstairs
Note: Nodding Head’s Center City location closed in late October 2014. The brewpub is in the process of relocating. Stay tuned for more information.
Despite its location in the heart of Center City, Nodding Head is actually a hidden gem, and one which is definitely worth seeking out. Venture up to the second floor location on the 1500 block of Sansom Street and you’ll be very glad you did.
Nodding Head brews its own beers to go along with its excellent, gastro-pub fare. Standard pub fare is taken up a notch with extra attention to detail, local ingredients and some of the best fries in the city. Other menu highlights include fresh fish and vegetarian and vegan options. You can expect large portions and low prices. The kitchen is open Monday through Thursday until 12 midnight, until 1:30 a.m. on Friday and Saturday and until 11:00 p.m. on Sunday.
While the kitchen can certainly hold its own, the brewery has won more beer competition awards than it can hang on its walls. Beers here are brewed seasonally and in plain view. Among Nodding Head’s dozens of styles: Grog, BoHo Pils, Golden Ale and Son of Swami, all of which compliment the kitchen’s excellent burgers, Belgian-style mussels and everything else.
Nodding Head is a sibling restaurant of Monk’s Cafe and Fergie’s Pub and a cousin restaurant of Grace Tavern. All four of these establishments are great neighborhood bars where you’re guaranteed to have a great meal in good company.
In the neighborhood
201 N. 17th Street
(17th and Race Streets)
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Embassy Suites by Hilton Philadelphia – Center City
- Hotel Palomar Philadelphia
- Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel
- Sonesta Philadelphia
- The Westin Philadelphia
- The Windsor Suites Philadelphia
- The Logan, Philadelphia’s Hotel
- Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel
- The Dwight D Hotel,
a City House Hotel
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
Broad and Spruce Streets
and other various locations
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University
- Duck Girl
- Mütter Museum
- Campus Philly CollegeFest
- Prince Theater
- Rittenhouse Square
- Monument to Six Million Jewish Martyrs
- Philadelphia Open Studio Tours
- Shoe Museum
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
2025 Benjamin Franklin Parkway
Philadelphia, PA 19130
- The Franklin Mortgage & Investment Company
- Center City District Restaurant Week
- Tavern 17
- Di Bruno Bros.
- Twenty Manning Grill
- Ocean Prime
- Del Frisco’s Double Eagle Steak House
- Vango Lounge and Sky Bar
- View more Restuarants & Dining