Alma De Cuba
Stephen Starr tips his hat to chic Cuban cuisine
With its high ceilings, low-lit dining rooms and sleek bar and lounge, Alma de Cuba is at once stylish, contemporary and exotic.
Meet for a few drinks at the popular first floor bar, where classic Cuban cocktails such as mojitos and daiquiris flow freely. Pair yours with a few tapas off the superb Nuevo Latino menu of star chef Douglas Rodriguez and you’re in for a real treat.
If you visit Alma for dinner, begin with a few ceviches — or better yet, order the ceviche tasting, a sampling of your choice of three, five or seven. And yes, they’re that good. Other popular appetizers include the oysters Rodriguez and several varieties of empanadas.
For the main course, you’ll probably want to try just about everything. A few suggestions: the cilantro honey mustard glazed salmon, annato-honey grilled swordfish, sweet corn crusted diver scallops and vaca frita or “fried cow” are all superb.
But then again, so is pretty much everything that comes out of Alma’s kitchen — especially the chocolate flan and almond cake for dessert.
If you don’t have time for a complete dinner, check out the bar and lounge. From 5-7 p.m., there’s a happy hour with drink specials and complimentary tapas. Then, sit back and relax to the cool Latin music.
In the neighborhood
220 S 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- The Rittenhouse
- AKA Rittenhouse Square
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Sonesta Philadelphia
- Sofitel Philadelphia
- Hyatt at The Bellevue
- Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel
- Hotel Palomar Philadelphia
- The Westin Philadelphia
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
15th Street and John F. Kennedy Blvd.
John F. Kennedy Plaza
Philadelphia, PA 19102
- Emergence of a Modern Metropolis Walking Tour
- City Hall
- Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts
- Campus Philly CollegeFest
- Koresh Dance Company
- The Barnes Foundation
- Rittenhouse Square
- Monument to Six Million Jewish Martyrs
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
112 South 18th Street
- Tavern 17
- Steve’s Prince of Steaks
- The Logan, Philadelphia’s Hotel
- Ocean Prime
- The Comcast Experience HD Video Wall – Comcast Center
- Center City District Restaurant Week
- Pub & Kitchen
- Nodding Head Brewery and Restaurant
- Center City District Sips
- View more Restuarants & Dining