Alma De Cuba
Stephen Starr tips his hat to chic Cuban cuisine
With its high ceilings, low-lit dining rooms and sleek bar and lounge, Alma de Cuba is at once stylish, contemporary and exotic.
Meet for a few drinks at the popular first floor bar, where classic Cuban cocktails such as mojitos and daiquiris flow freely. Pair yours with a few tapas off the superb Nuevo Latino menu of star chef Douglas Rodriguez and you’re in for a real treat.
If you visit Alma for dinner, begin with a few ceviches — or better yet, order the ceviche tasting, a sampling of your choice of three, five or seven. And yes, they’re that good. Other popular appetizers include the oysters Rodriguez and several varieties of empanadas.
For the main course, you’ll probably want to try just about everything. A few suggestions: the cilantro honey mustard glazed salmon, annato-honey grilled swordfish, sweet corn crusted diver scallops and vaca frita or “fried cow” are all superb.
But then again, so is pretty much everything that comes out of Alma’s kitchen — especially the chocolate flan and almond cake for dessert.
If you don’t have time for a complete dinner, check out the bar and lounge. From 5-7 p.m., there’s a happy hour with drink specials and complimentary tapas. Then, sit back and relax to the cool Latin music.
In the neighborhood
3600 Sansom Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
- Embassy Suites by Hilton Philadelphia – Center City
- The Warwick Hotel
Rittenhouse Square Philadelphia
- Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel
- Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
- Le Méridien Philadelphia
- The Windsor Suites Philadelphia
- Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel
- The Logan, Philadelphia’s Hotel
- AKA Rittenhouse Square
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
1412 Chestnut St
Philadelphia, PA 19102
- Campus Philly CollegeFest
- The PFS Roxy Theater
- Rittenhouse Square
- Henry J. Cadbury Library
- Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts
- Mütter Museum
- The Comcast Experience HD Video Wall – Comcast Center
- Philly @ The Movies:
Rocky at the
Philadelphia Museum of Art
- Koresh Dance Company
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
128 S. 19th Street Philadelphia, PA 19103
- The Franklin Mortgage & Investment Company
- Di Bruno Bros.
- R2L Restaurant and Lounge
- Pub & Kitchen
- Center City District Sips
- Tavern 17
- Del Frisco’s Double Eagle Steak House
- Nodding Head Brewery and Restaurant
- Twenty Manning Grill
- View more Restuarants & Dining