Alma De Cuba
Stephen Starr tips his hat to chic Cuban cuisine
With its high ceilings, low-lit dining rooms and sleek bar and lounge, Alma de Cuba is at once stylish, contemporary and exotic.
Meet for a few drinks at the popular first floor bar, where classic Cuban cocktails such as mojitos and daiquiris flow freely. Pair yours with a few tapas off the superb Nuevo Latino menu of star chef Douglas Rodriguez and you’re in for a real treat.
If you visit Alma for dinner, begin with a few ceviches — or better yet, order the ceviche tasting, a sampling of your choice of three, five or seven. And yes, they’re that good. Other popular appetizers include the oysters Rodriguez and several varieties of empanadas.
For the main course, you’ll probably want to try just about everything. A few suggestions: the cilantro honey mustard glazed salmon, annato-honey grilled swordfish, sweet corn crusted diver scallops and vaca frita or “fried cow” are all superb.
But then again, so is pretty much everything that comes out of Alma’s kitchen — especially the chocolate flan and almond cake for dessert.
If you don’t have time for a complete dinner, check out the bar and lounge. From 5-7 p.m., there’s a happy hour with drink specials and complimentary tapas. Then, sit back and relax to the cool Latin music.
In the neighborhood
99 S. 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Radisson Blu Warwick Hotel Rittenhouse Square Philadelphia
- Sofitel Philadelphia
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- The Rittenhouse
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Hotel Palomar Philadelphia
- Hyatt at The Bellevue
- AKA Rittenhouse Square
- Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
401 S. Broad Street
The Gershman Y
City, PA 19147
- Philly POPS! On Independence 2015
- Opera Philadelphia
- Duck Girl
- The Philly Pops
- Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia
- Pennsylvania Ballet Presents
George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker
- The Wilma Theater
- The Academy of Vocal Arts
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
128 S. 19th Street Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Honey’s Sit ‘n Eat
- Campus Philly CollegeFest
- The Logan, Philadelphia’s Hotel
- Di Bruno Bros.
- The Franklin Mortgage & Investment Company
- The Comcast Experience HD Video Wall – Comcast Center
- Center City District Restaurant Week
- Center City District Sips
- View more Restuarants & Dining