Alma De Cuba
Stephen Starr tips his hat to chic Cuban cuisine
With its high ceilings, low-lit dining rooms and sleek bar and lounge, Alma de Cuba is at once stylish, contemporary and exotic.
Meet for a few drinks at the popular first floor bar, where classic Cuban cocktails such as mojitos and daiquiris flow freely. Pair yours with a few tapas off the superb Nuevo Latino menu of star chef Douglas Rodriguez and you’re in for a real treat.
If you visit Alma for dinner, begin with a few ceviches — or better yet, order the ceviche tasting, a sampling of your choice of three, five or seven. And yes, they’re that good. Other popular appetizers include the oysters Rodriguez and several varieties of empanadas.
For the main course, you’ll probably want to try just about everything. A few suggestions: the cilantro honey mustard glazed salmon, annato-honey grilled swordfish, sweet corn crusted diver scallops and vaca frita or “fried cow” are all superb.
But then again, so is pretty much everything that comes out of Alma’s kitchen — especially the chocolate flan and almond cake for dessert.
If you don’t have time for a complete dinner, check out the bar and lounge. From 5-7 p.m., there’s a happy hour with drink specials and complimentary tapas. Then, sit back and relax to the cool Latin music.
In the neighborhood
99 S. 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- ROOST Apartment Hotel, Philadelphia- Midtown
- Sonesta Philadelphia
- ROOST Apartment Hotel, Philadelphia- Rittenhouse
- Hyatt at The Bellevue
- Sofitel Philadelphia
- AKA Rittenhouse Square
- Hotel Palomar Philadelphia
- The Warwick Hotel
Rittenhouse Square Philadelphia
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
401 S. Broad Street
The Gershman Y
City, PA 19147
- Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts
- The Philly Pops
- The Philadelphia Shakespeare Theatre
- Rittenhouse Square
- Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia
- First Unitarian Church
- Lion Crushing a Serpent
- The Academy of Music
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
2101 South Street Philadelphia, PA 19146
- Steve’s Prince of Steaks
- The Barnes Foundation
- R2L Restaurant and Lounge
- Pub & Kitchen
- Center City District Restaurant Week
- The Franklin Mortgage & Investment Company
- Nodding Head Brewery and Restaurant
- Campus Philly CollegeFest
- View more Restuarants & Dining