Alma De Cuba
Stephen Starr tips his hat to chic Cuban cuisine
With its high ceilings, low-lit dining rooms and sleek bar and lounge, Alma de Cuba is at once stylish, contemporary and exotic.
Meet for a few drinks at the popular first floor bar, where classic Cuban cocktails such as mojitos and daiquiris flow freely. Pair yours with a few tapas off the superb Nuevo Latino menu of star chef Douglas Rodriguez and you’re in for a real treat.
If you visit Alma for dinner, begin with a few ceviches — or better yet, order the ceviche tasting, a sampling of your choice of three, five or seven. And yes, they’re that good. Other popular appetizers include the oysters Rodriguez and several varieties of empanadas.
For the main course, you’ll probably want to try just about everything. A few suggestions: the cilantro honey mustard glazed salmon, annato-honey grilled swordfish, sweet corn crusted diver scallops and vaca frita or “fried cow” are all superb.
But then again, so is pretty much everything that comes out of Alma’s kitchen — especially the chocolate flan and almond cake for dessert.
If you don’t have time for a complete dinner, check out the bar and lounge. From 5-7 p.m., there’s a happy hour with drink specials and complimentary tapas. Then, sit back and relax to the cool Latin music.
In the neighborhood
220 S 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Sofitel Philadelphia
- Hotel Palomar Philadelphia
- Latham Hotel
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- The Westin Philadelphia
- AKA Rittenhouse Square
- Inn at the Union League
- Sonesta Hotel Philadelphia
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
Benjamin Franklin Parkway at N. 16th Street Between 16th & 17th Streets Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
- Philadelphia Chamber Music Society
- Rittenhouse Square
- Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia
- The Comcast Center
- Shoe Museum
- The Comcast Experience HD Video Wall – Comcast Center
- Philadelphia Theatre Company
- The Choral Arts Society of Philadelphia
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
1622 South St.
Philadelphia, PA 19146
- Barclay Prime
- Concerts in the Park – Rittenhouse Square Summer Concert Series
- Center City District Restaurant Week
- Rex 1516
- Jet Wine Bar
- The Shops at Liberty Place
- The Franklin Mortgage & Investment Company
- Roberto Cafe
- View more Restuarants & Dining