Alma De Cuba
Stephen Starr tips his hat to chic Cuban cuisine
With its high ceilings, low-lit dining rooms and sleek bar and lounge, Alma de Cuba is at once stylish, contemporary and exotic.
Meet for a few drinks at the popular first floor bar, where classic Cuban cocktails such as mojitos and daiquiris flow freely. Pair yours with a few tapas off the superb Nuevo Latino menu of star chef Douglas Rodriguez and you’re in for a real treat.
If you visit Alma for dinner, begin with a few ceviches — or better yet, order the ceviche tasting, a sampling of your choice of three, five or seven. And yes, they’re that good. Other popular appetizers include the oysters Rodriguez and several varieties of empanadas.
For the main course, you’ll probably want to try just about everything. A few suggestions: the cilantro honey mustard glazed salmon, annato-honey grilled swordfish, sweet corn crusted diver scallops and vaca frita or “fried cow” are all superb.
But then again, so is pretty much everything that comes out of Alma’s kitchen — especially the chocolate flan and almond cake for dessert.
If you don’t have time for a complete dinner, check out the bar and lounge. From 5-7 p.m., there’s a happy hour with drink specials and complimentary tapas. Then, sit back and relax to the cool Latin music.
In the neighborhood
210 W. Rittenhouse Square
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- ROOST Apartment Hotel
- Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel
- AKA Rittenhouse Square
- Inn at the Union League
- Sonesta Hotel Philadelphia
- Hotel Palomar Philadelphia
- Latham Hotel
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- Radisson Blu Warwick Hotel Philadelphia
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
260 South Broad Street The Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts Philadelphia, PA 19102
- Government of the People
- The Comcast Experience HD Video Wall – Comcast Center
- Philadelphia Theatre Company
- Opera Philadelphia
- Monument to Six Million Jewish Martyrs
- Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
- Philadelphia Rock ‘n’ Roll Half-Marathon
- The Philly Pops
- Emergence of a Modern Metropolis Walking Tour
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
10 Avenue of the Arts
Philadelphia, PA 19102
- R2L Restaurant and Lounge
- Jamaican Jerk Hut
- Bistro La Baia
- Liberty Block Party
Wawa Welcome America!
- McCormick and Schmick’s
- La.Va Cafe
- Pub & Kitchen
- PHS Pop Up Garden
- View more Restuarants & Dining