Alma De Cuba
Stephen Starr tips his hat to chic Cuban cuisine
With its high ceilings, low-lit dining rooms and sleek bar and lounge, Alma de Cuba is at once stylish, contemporary and exotic.
Meet for a few drinks at the popular first floor bar, where classic Cuban cocktails such as mojitos and daiquiris flow freely. Pair yours with a few tapas off the superb Nuevo Latino menu of star chef Douglas Rodriguez and you’re in for a real treat.
If you visit Alma for dinner, begin with a few ceviches — or better yet, order the ceviche tasting, a sampling of your choice of three, five or seven. And yes, they’re that good. Other popular appetizers include the oysters Rodriguez and several varieties of empanadas.
For the main course, you’ll probably want to try just about everything. A few suggestions: the cilantro honey mustard glazed salmon, annato-honey grilled swordfish, sweet corn crusted diver scallops and vaca frita or “fried cow” are all superb.
But then again, so is pretty much everything that comes out of Alma’s kitchen — especially the chocolate flan and almond cake for dessert.
If you don’t have time for a complete dinner, check out the bar and lounge. From 5-7 p.m., there’s a happy hour with drink specials and complimentary tapas. Then, sit back and relax to the cool Latin music.
In the neighborhood
117 S. 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- ROOST Apartment Hotel, Philadelphia- Rittenhouse
- The Rittenhouse
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Inn at the Union League
- The DWIGHT D,
a City House Hotel
- The Westin Philadelphia
- The Warwick Hotel
Rittenhouse Square Philadelphia
- Sofitel Philadelphia
- Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
18th and Walnut Streets
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- The Philly Pops
- Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame and Adolph and Rose Levis Sports Museum
- The Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania
- City Hall
- Pennsylvania Ballet
- Rittenhouse Square
- Philadelphia Chamber Music Society
- The Philadelphia Shakespeare Theatre
- The Academy of Music
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
116 S. 18th Street Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Di Bruno Bros.
- Café Lutecia
- Twenty Manning Grill
- The Franklin Mortgage & Investment Company
- Center City District Restaurant Week
- R2L Restaurant and Lounge
- Village Whiskey
- Nodding Head Brewery and Restaurant
- View more Restuarants & Dining