Stephen Starr’s dazzling Mexican outpost
Funky, sophisticated and fun, El Vez proves to be one of the area’s best Mexican restaurants. Located on a hot corner in the burgeoning B3 neighborhood (Blocks Below Broad), El Vez, named after the Mexican Elvis, serves lunch and dinner.
The décor is bright and festive — a custom made, jewel-lined gold motorcycle hangs above the bar; guacamole-making carts move from table to table; and bright purple plush upholstery lines circular banquette tables.
The fare is creative Mexican and El Vez is a great place for sharing a bunch of dishes with your table. Starting with the guacamole is pretty much a must — it’s prepared tableside immediately upon ordering. Another good bet is the salsa sampler which lets choose among the several varieties ranging from a spicy tuna with Pineapple, habaneros, tomatillo and orange to a melted Manchego with sweet onions.
Proceed directly to other favorites like the tuna tostadas, lobster and crab tacos, and Yucatan pork tamales. Order the Taco Tasting Platter and they’ll be served right on the grill.
El Vez only accepts reservations for large parties, so be prepared to wait up to an hour to be seated on the weekends. Luckily, time flies when waiting at the bar with a margarita and entertaining yourself with the photo booth.
A great place to stop for drinks, forget about the featured cocktail list — everybody drinks margaritas.
In the neighborhood
1200 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Rodeway Inn Center City
- Holiday Inn Express
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- Holiday Inn Express Midtown
- The Morris House Hotel
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
200 N. 6th St
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- The African American Museum in Philadelphia
- First Friday
- The Philadelphia History Museum at the Atwater Kent
- National Constitution Center
- Philadelphia Open Studio Tours
- Hard Rock Cafe Philadelphia
- The 2015 Philadelphia Flower Show
- Merriam Theater
- St. Stephen’s Protestant Episcopal Church
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
1312 South Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147
- 1225 Raw Sushi & Sake Lounge
- Capital Grille
- Oktoberfest at Brauhaus Schmitz
- M Restaurant at the Morris House Hotel
- Talula’s Daily
- Tria – Wine Beer & Cheese Café
- Franklin Flea
- View more Restuarants & Dining