Stephen Starr’s dazzling Mexican outpost
Funky, sophisticated and fun, El Vez proves to be one of the area’s best Mexican restaurants. Located on a hot corner in the burgeoning B3 neighborhood (Blocks Below Broad), El Vez, named after the Mexican Elvis, serves lunch and dinner.
The décor is bright and festive — a custom made, jewel-lined gold motorcycle hangs above the bar; guacamole-making carts move from table to table; and bright purple plush upholstery lines circular banquette tables.
The fare is creative Mexican and El Vez is a great place for sharing a bunch of dishes with your table. Starting with the guacamole is pretty much a must — it’s prepared tableside immediately upon ordering. Another good bet is the salsa sampler which lets choose among the several varieties ranging from a spicy tuna with Pineapple, habaneros, tomatillo and orange to a melted Manchego with sweet onions.
Proceed directly to other favorites like the tuna tostadas, lobster and crab tacos, and Yucatan pork tamales. Order the Taco Tasting Platter and they’ll be served right on the grill.
El Vez only accepts reservations for large parties, so be prepared to wait up to an hour to be seated on the weekends. Luckily, time flies when waiting at the bar with a margarita and entertaining yourself with the photo booth.
A great place to stop for drinks, forget about the featured cocktail list — everybody drinks margaritas.
In the neighborhood
1201 Market Street Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Loews Philadelphia Hotel
- Holiday Inn Express
- Rodeway Inn Center City
- Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
- Alexander Inn
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
800 Spruce Street (enter by 8th Street entrance) Philadelphia, PA 19107
- The Academy of Music
- Walnut Street Theatre
- Oktoberfest at Brauhaus Schmitz
- Philly Art Experience
at Bridgette Mayer Gallery
- Philadelphia’s Magic Gardens
- The Wilma Theater
- Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame and Adolph and Rose Levis Sports Museum
- Philly POPS! On Independence 2014
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
1312 South Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147
- Capogiro Gelato Artisans
- Brauhaus Schmitz
- Green Eggs Cafe – Midtown Village
- Zavino Pizzeria and Wine Bar
- M Restaurant at the Morris House Hotel
- Talula’s Daily
- View more Restuarants & Dining