Stephen Starr’s dazzling Mexican outpost
Funky, sophisticated and fun, El Vez proves to be one of the area’s best Mexican restaurants. Located on a hot corner in the burgeoning B3 neighborhood (Blocks Below Broad), El Vez, named after the Mexican Elvis, serves lunch and dinner.
The décor is bright and festive — a custom made, jewel-lined gold motorcycle hangs above the bar; guacamole-making carts move from table to table; and bright purple plush upholstery lines circular banquette tables.
The fare is creative Mexican and El Vez is a great place for sharing a bunch of dishes with your table. Starting with the guacamole is pretty much a must — it’s prepared tableside immediately upon ordering. Another good bet is the salsa sampler which lets choose among the several varieties ranging from a spicy tuna with Pineapple, habaneros, tomatillo and orange to a melted Manchego with sweet onions.
Proceed directly to other favorites like the tuna tostadas, lobster and crab tacos, and Yucatan pork tamales. Order the Taco Tasting Platter and they’ll be served right on the grill.
El Vez only accepts reservations for large parties, so be prepared to wait up to an hour to be seated on the weekends. Luckily, time flies when waiting at the bar with a margarita and entertaining yourself with the photo booth.
A great place to stop for drinks, forget about the featured cocktail list — everybody drinks margaritas.
In the neighborhood
12th and Spruce Streets
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
- Holiday Inn Express Midtown
- Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
- Loews Philadelphia Hotel
- Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District
- The Morris House Hotel
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Holiday Inn Express
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City Convention Center
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
520 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102
- The Bourse
- Franklin Square
- Pennsylvania Hospital
- Hard Rock Cafe Philadelphia
- Brasil’s Nightclub
- The African American Museum
- National Archives and Records Administration Mid-Atlantic Region
- Starman in the Ancient Garden
- City Hall
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
117 Chestnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19106
- 1225 Raw Sushi & Sake Lounge
- Wawa Hoagie Day
- Tria – Wine Beer & Cheese Café
- The Continental Restaurant and Martini Bar
- Center City District Sips
- Pizzeria Stella
- Barra Restaurant
- Independence Beer Garden
- View more Restuarants & Dining