Stephen Starr’s dazzling Mexican outpost
Funky, sophisticated and fun, El Vez proves to be one of the area’s best Mexican restaurants. Located on a hot corner in the burgeoning B3 neighborhood (Blocks Below Broad), El Vez, named after the Mexican Elvis, serves lunch and dinner.
The décor is bright and festive — a custom made, jewel-lined gold motorcycle hangs above the bar; guacamole-making carts move from table to table; and bright purple plush upholstery lines circular banquette tables.
The fare is creative Mexican and El Vez is a great place for sharing a bunch of dishes with your table. Starting with the guacamole is pretty much a must — it’s prepared tableside immediately upon ordering. Another good bet is the salsa sampler which lets choose among the several varieties ranging from a spicy tuna with Pineapple, habaneros, tomatillo and orange to a melted Manchego with sweet onions.
Proceed directly to other favorites like the tuna tostadas, lobster and crab tacos, and Yucatan pork tamales. Order the Taco Tasting Platter and they’ll be served right on the grill.
El Vez only accepts reservations for large parties, so be prepared to wait up to an hour to be seated on the weekends. Luckily, time flies when waiting at the bar with a margarita and entertaining yourself with the photo booth.
A great place to stop for drinks, forget about the featured cocktail list — everybody drinks margaritas.
In the neighborhood
1208 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Hilton Garden Inn Center City
- Loews Philadelphia Hotel
- The Morris House Hotel
- Holiday Inn Express Midtown
- Four Points by Sheraton Center City
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
- Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
- Holiday Inn Express
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
800 Spruce Street (enter by 8th Street entrance) Philadelphia, PA 19107
- St. Stephen’s Protestant Episcopal Church
- First Friday
- United States Mint
- Franklin Square
- The Academy of Music
- The Athenaeum of Philadelphia
- The Fabric Workshop and Museum
- National Museum of American Jewish History
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
10th and Spruce Streets Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Talula’s Daily
- M Restaurant at the Morris House Hotel
- Green Eggs Cafe – Midtown Village
- 1225 Raw Sushi & Sake Lounge
- Garces Trading Company
- Ms. Tootsie’s Restaurant Bar Lounge
- Day of The Dead Festival and Parade
- Franklin Flea
- View more Restuarants & Dining