Stephen Starr’s dazzling Mexican outpost
Funky, sophisticated and fun, El Vez proves to be one of the area’s best Mexican restaurants. Located on a hot corner in the burgeoning B3 neighborhood (Blocks Below Broad), El Vez, named after the Mexican Elvis, serves lunch and dinner.
The décor is bright and festive — a custom made, jewel-lined gold motorcycle hangs above the bar; guacamole-making carts move from table to table; and bright purple plush upholstery lines circular banquette tables.
The fare is creative Mexican and El Vez is a great place for sharing a bunch of dishes with your table. Starting with the guacamole is pretty much a must — it’s prepared tableside immediately upon ordering. Another good bet is the salsa sampler which lets choose among the several varieties ranging from a spicy tuna with Pineapple, habaneros, tomatillo and orange to a melted Manchego with sweet onions.
Proceed directly to other favorites like the tuna tostadas, lobster and crab tacos, and Yucatan pork tamales. Order the Taco Tasting Platter and they’ll be served right on the grill.
El Vez only accepts reservations for large parties, so be prepared to wait up to an hour to be seated on the weekends. Luckily, time flies when waiting at the bar with a margarita and entertaining yourself with the photo booth.
A great place to stop for drinks, forget about the featured cocktail list — everybody drinks margaritas.
In the neighborhood
1200 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- Holiday Inn Express Midtown
- Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Philadelphia Segway Tours
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Hilton Garden Inn Center City
- Rodeway Inn Center City
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
601 Walnut Street
In the Lobby of the Curtis Center
Philadelphia, PA 19106
- City Hall
- National Archives and Records Administration Mid-Atlantic Region
- Masonic Temple
- Center City District Sips
- The African American Museum in Philadelphia
- The Fabric Workshop and Museum
- Hard Rock Cafe Philadelphia
- The Irish Memorial
- First Friday
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
12th and Filbert Streets Tour departs from the Reading Terminal Market information desk Philadelphia, PA 19107
- The Bourse
- National Mechanics
- Center City District Restaurant Week
- Tommy DiNic’s Roast Pork and Beef
- 1225 Raw Sushi & Sake Lounge
- Tria – Wine Beer & Cheese Café
- Zavino Pizzeria and Wine Bar
- View more Restuarants & Dining