Stephen Starr’s dazzling Mexican outpost
Funky, sophisticated and fun, El Vez proves to be one of the area’s best Mexican restaurants. Located on a hot corner in the burgeoning B3 neighborhood (Blocks Below Broad), El Vez, named after the Mexican Elvis, serves lunch and dinner.
The décor is bright and festive — a custom made, jewel-lined gold motorcycle hangs above the bar; guacamole-making carts move from table to table; and bright purple plush upholstery lines circular banquette tables.
The fare is creative Mexican and El Vez is a great place for sharing a bunch of dishes with your table. Starting with the guacamole is pretty much a must — it’s prepared tableside immediately upon ordering. Another good bet is the salsa sampler which lets choose among the several varieties ranging from a spicy tuna with Pineapple, habaneros, tomatillo and orange to a melted Manchego with sweet onions.
Proceed directly to other favorites like the tuna tostadas, lobster and crab tacos, and Yucatan pork tamales. Order the Taco Tasting Platter and they’ll be served right on the grill.
El Vez only accepts reservations for large parties, so be prepared to wait up to an hour to be seated on the weekends. Luckily, time flies when waiting at the bar with a margarita and entertaining yourself with the photo booth.
A great place to stop for drinks, forget about the featured cocktail list — everybody drinks margaritas.
In the neighborhood
12th and Spruce Streets
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Four Points by Sheraton
Philadelphia City Center
- Hilton Garden Inn Center City
- Rodeway Inn Center City
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Loews Philadelphia Hotel
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
1200 Market Street The Loews Philadelphia Hotel Philadelphia, PA 19107
- National Liberty Museum
- The Irish Memorial
- National Museum of American Jewish History
- The Philadelphia History Museum at the Atwater Kent
- Franklin Square
- National Archives and Records Administration Mid-Atlantic Region
- The Bourse
- Mural Arts Program
- Philadelphia Open Studio Tours
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
1200 Market Street Philadelphia, PA 19107
- National Mechanics
- Percy Street Barbecue
- Center City District Restaurant Week
- Campus Philly CollegeFest
- Center City District Sips
- The Bourse
- Tria – Wine Beer & Cheese Café
- Ms. Tootsie’s Restaurant Bar Lounge
- View more Restuarants & Dining