A delightful American BYOB off Rittenhouse Square
Matyson got its name when the owners combined the first syllable from each of their names, Matthew and Sonjia. Matthew is the head chef while Sonja is the pastry chef. Together, they turn out contemporary American cuisine that is consistently rated as some of the best in Center City.
The husband and wife team in the kitchen use local produce and meats to create the eclectic new-American fare that keeps their storefront restaurant bustling week after week.
The restaurant is both sophisticated and casual, meaning that while the table next to you might have a group of business people enjoying a meal, the table on your other side is just as likely to have a couple from the neighborhood taking in a delicious dinner.
The menu updates often, but popular highlights include, for appetizers, wild mushroom and potato gnocchi, grilled quail with cherry and sage stuffing, and grilled Spanish octopus with chorizo and anchovie aioli. And for entrees, the braised lamb shank with crispy polenta, the pan seared scallops with a toasted almond and fennel salad, and the massive roasted pork chop with caramelized apples are all excellent.
Don’t skip dessert — it’s one of many reasons Matyson is so popular. Just be sure to make your reservations in advance.
A special $45 chef’s tasting menu is available Monday through Thursday — it changes from week to week, reflecting the very best of the season.
In the neighborhood
99 S. 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Sofitel Philadelphia
- AKA Rittenhouse Square
- Sonesta Hotel Philadelphia
- Inn at the Union League
- Hotel Palomar Philadelphia
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel
- Radisson Blu Warwick Hotel Philadelphia
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
1420 Locust Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102
- Philadelphia International
Festival of the Arts (PIFA)
- Pennsylvania Ballet’s The Nutcracker
- Concerts in the Park – Rittenhouse Square Summer Concert Series
- Bloomsday at the Rosenbach
- Pennsylvania Ballet
- Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame and Adolph and Rose Levis Sports Museum
- The Curtis Institute of Music
- Mütter Museum
- Thomas Hockley House
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
15th and Walnut Streets
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- XIX (Nineteen)
- Steve’s Prince of Steaks
- Chez Colette
- The Continental Mid-town
- Center City District Restaurant Week
- The Franklin Mortgage & Investment Company
- Honey’s Sit ‘n Eat
- View more Restuarants & Dining