A former market comes back to life
Mercato has quickly earned a positive reputation among locals in the Washington Square West neighborhood. It’s no surprise, then, that it fills up easily at dinner time. (Reservations recommended.)
Located in what used to be a neighborhood corner market, Mercato — which means market in Italian — expands on its namesake theme by emphasizing fresh, local ingredients in its contemporary Italian menu.
The menu changes often, but keep your eye out for favorites including delicious salads, ambitious seafood dishes and homemade pastas. On warmer nights, Mercato opens its spacious windows to let diners enjoy the evening air and feel the bustle of the neighborhood.
Mercato is a cash-only BYOB, open seven days a week; Monday through Thursday, from 5 to 10:30 p.m., Friday and Saturday, from 5 to 11p.m., and Sunday from 5 to 10 p.m.
Mercato has sidewalk seating available on clear nights, spring through fall.
In the neighborhood
1 E. Penn Square
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Four Points by Sheraton Center City
- Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District
- The Morris House Hotel
- Holiday Inn Express Midtown
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
- Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Alexander Inn
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
250 S. Broad Street Philadelphia, PA 19102
- Philly POPS! On Independence 2015
- Philadelphia Theatre Company
- Walnut Street Theatre
- Philly Pops Christmas Spectacular
- Philadelphia’s Magic Gardens
- Pennsylvania Hospital
- The Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania
- The Academy of Music
- Philadelphia International
Festival of the Arts (PIFA)
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining