A former market comes back to life
Mercato has quickly earned a positive reputation among locals in the Washington Square West neighborhood. It’s no surprise, then, that it fills up easily at dinner time. (Reservations recommended.)
Located in what used to be a neighborhood corner market, Mercato — which means market in Italian — expands on its namesake theme by emphasizing fresh, local ingredients in its contemporary Italian menu.
The menu changes often, but keep your eye out for favorites including delicious salads, ambitious seafood dishes and homemade pastas. On warmer nights, Mercato opens its spacious windows to let diners enjoy the evening air and feel the bustle of the neighborhood.
Mercato is a cash-only BYOB, open seven days a week; Monday through Thursday, from 5 to 10:30 p.m., Friday and Saturday, from 5 to 11p.m., and Sunday from 5 to 10 p.m.
Mercato has sidewalk seating available on clear nights, spring through fall.
In the neighborhood
Museums & Attractions
901 Market Street, Level 2
Philadelphia, PA 19139
- National Archives and Records Administration Mid-Atlantic Region
- Center City District Sips
- Pennsylvania Hospital
- The African American Museum in Philadelphia
- The Fabric Workshop and Museum
- Philadelphia Rock ‘n’ Roll Half-Marathon
- Philadelphia Open Studio Tours
- The Philadelphia History Museum at the Atwater Kent
- The Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
12th & Arch Streets
- Taste of Philadelphia Food Tour
- National Mechanics
- Hard Rock Cafe Philadelphia
- Reading Terminal Market’s Pennsylvania Dutch Festival
- 1225 Raw Sushi & Sake Lounge
- Zavino Pizzeria and Wine Bar
- M Restaurant at the Morris House Hotel
- Tria – Wine Beer & Cheese Café
- View more Restuarants & Dining