A former market comes back to life
Mercato has quickly earned a positive reputation among locals in the Washington Square West neighborhood. It’s no surprise, then, that it fills up easily at dinner time. (Reservations recommended.)
Located in what used to be a neighborhood corner market, Mercato — which means market in Italian — expands on its namesake theme by emphasizing fresh, local ingredients in its contemporary Italian menu.
The menu changes often, but keep your eye out for favorites including delicious salads, ambitious seafood dishes and homemade pastas. On warmer nights, Mercato opens its spacious windows to let diners enjoy the evening air and feel the bustle of the neighborhood.
Mercato is a cash-only BYOB, open seven days a week; Monday through Thursday, from 5 to 10:30 p.m., Friday and Saturday, from 5 to 11p.m., and Sunday from 5 to 10 p.m.
Mercato has sidewalk seating available on clear nights, spring through fall.
In the neighborhood
1301 Race Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Loews Philadelphia Hotel
- Four Points by Sheraton Center City
- Holiday Inn Express
- The Morris House Hotel
- Hilton Garden Inn Center City
- Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
- Alexander Inn
- Rodeway Inn Center City
- Holiday Inn Express Midtown
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
Restaurants & Dining
700 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
- El Vez
- Ms. Tootsie’s Restaurant Bar Lounge
- Bank & Bourbon
- Reading Terminal Market’s Pennsylvania Dutch Festival
- Taste of Philadelphia Food Tour
- Tommy DiNic’s Roast Pork and Beef
- 1225 Raw Sushi & Sake Lounge
- View more Restuarants & Dining