A former market comes back to life
Mercato has quickly earned a positive reputation among locals in the Washington Square West neighborhood. It’s no surprise, then, that it fills up easily at dinner time. (Reservations recommended.)
Located in what used to be a neighborhood corner market, Mercato — which means market in Italian — expands on its namesake theme by emphasizing fresh, local ingredients in its contemporary Italian menu.
The menu changes often, but keep your eye out for favorites including delicious salads, ambitious seafood dishes and homemade pastas. On warmer nights, Mercato opens its spacious windows to let diners enjoy the evening air and feel the bustle of the neighborhood.
Mercato is a cash-only BYOB, open seven days a week; Monday through Thursday, from 5 to 10:30 p.m., Friday and Saturday, from 5 to 11p.m., and Sunday from 5 to 10 p.m.
Mercato has sidewalk seating available on clear nights, spring through fall.
In the neighborhood
1200 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Sleep Inn Center City
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Hilton Garden Inn Center City
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Holiday Inn Express Midtown
- Rodeway Inn Center City
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
219 S. Sixth Street Philadelphia, PA 19106
- Dream Garden
- Merriam Theater
- The Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania
- First Friday
- Center City District Sips
- The Philadelphia History Museum at the Atwater Kent
- Campus Philly CollegeFest
- The Academy of Music
- Pennsylvania Hospital
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining