A former market comes back to life
Mercato has quickly earned a positive reputation among locals in the Washington Square West neighborhood. It’s no surprise, then, that it fills up easily at dinner time. (Reservations recommended.)
Located in what used to be a neighborhood corner market, Mercato — which means market in Italian — expands on its namesake theme by emphasizing fresh, local ingredients in its contemporary Italian menu.
The menu changes often, but keep your eye out for favorites including delicious salads, ambitious seafood dishes and homemade pastas. On warmer nights, Mercato opens its spacious windows to let diners enjoy the evening air and feel the bustle of the neighborhood.
Mercato is a cash-only BYOB, open seven days a week; Monday through Thursday, from 5 to 10:30 p.m., Friday and Saturday, from 5 to 11p.m., and Sunday from 5 to 10 p.m.
Mercato has sidewalk seating available on clear nights, spring through fall.
In the neighborhood
1200 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- The Morris House Hotel
- Hilton Garden Inn Center City
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Holiday Inn Express Midtown
- Holiday Inn Express
- Rodeway Inn Center City
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- Four Points by Sheraton Center City
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
825 Walnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19107
- The Academy of Music
- Philadelphia Sketch Club
- Pennsylvania Ballet
- Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame and Adolph and Rose Levis Sports Museum
- Philly POPS! On Independence 2014
- Oktoberfest at Brauhaus Schmitz
- Philadelphia International
Festival of the Arts (PIFA)
- Philadelphia Theatre Company
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining