A former market comes back to life
Mercato has quickly earned a positive reputation among locals in the Washington Square West neighborhood. It’s no surprise, then, that it fills up easily at dinner time. (Reservations recommended.)
Located in what used to be a neighborhood corner market, Mercato — which means market in Italian — expands on its namesake theme by emphasizing fresh, local ingredients in its contemporary Italian menu.
The menu changes often, but keep your eye out for favorites including delicious salads, ambitious seafood dishes and homemade pastas. On warmer nights, Mercato opens its spacious windows to let diners enjoy the evening air and feel the bustle of the neighborhood.
Mercato is a cash-only BYOB, open seven days a week; Monday through Thursday, from 5 to 10:30 p.m., Friday and Saturday, from 5 to 11p.m., and Sunday from 5 to 10 p.m.
Mercato has sidewalk seating available on clear nights, spring through fall.
In the neighborhood
237 S. Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Holiday Inn Express
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City Convention Center
- Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District
- Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Four Points by Sheraton
Philadelphia City Center
- Loews Philadelphia Hotel
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
Broad and Walnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Philadelphia Sketch Club
- Pennsylvania Hospital
- The Philadelphia Orchestra
- Starman in the Ancient Garden
- Philadelphia Theatre Company
- Pennsylvania Ballet
- Merriam Theater
- Philadelphia’s Magic Gardens
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining