A former market comes back to life
Mercato has quickly earned a positive reputation among locals in the Washington Square West neighborhood. It’s no surprise, then, that it fills up easily at dinner time. (Reservations recommended.)
Located in what used to be a neighborhood corner market, Mercato — which means market in Italian — expands on its namesake theme by emphasizing fresh, local ingredients in its contemporary Italian menu.
The menu changes often, but keep your eye out for favorites including delicious salads, ambitious seafood dishes and homemade pastas. On warmer nights, Mercato opens its spacious windows to let diners enjoy the evening air and feel the bustle of the neighborhood.
Mercato is a cash-only BYOB, open seven days a week; Monday through Thursday, from 5 to 10:30 p.m., Friday and Saturday, from 5 to 11p.m., and Sunday from 5 to 10 p.m.
Mercato has sidewalk seating available on clear nights, spring through fall.
In the neighborhood
Museums & Attractions
21 S. 5th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
- The Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania
- Hard Rock Cafe Philadelphia
- Merriam Theater
- National Museum of American Jewish History
- PSFS Building
- Campus Philly CollegeFest
- The Athenaeum of Philadelphia
- The Academy of Music
- Philadelphia Open Studio Tours
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
1113-31 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Reading Terminal Market’s Pennsylvania Dutch Festival
- Tommy DiNic’s Roast Pork and Beef
- Zavino Pizzeria and Wine Bar
- Bank & Bourbon
- Tria – Wine Beer & Cheese Café
- Taste of Philadelphia Food Tour
- The Bourse
- El Vez
- View more Restuarants & Dining