A former market comes back to life
Mercato has quickly earned a positive reputation among locals in the Washington Square West neighborhood. It’s no surprise, then, that it fills up easily at dinner time. (Reservations recommended.)
Located in what used to be a neighborhood corner market, Mercato — which means market in Italian — expands on its namesake theme by emphasizing fresh, local ingredients in its contemporary Italian menu.
The menu changes often, but keep your eye out for favorites including delicious salads, ambitious seafood dishes and homemade pastas. On warmer nights, Mercato opens its spacious windows to let diners enjoy the evening air and feel the bustle of the neighborhood.
Mercato is a cash-only BYOB, open seven days a week; Monday through Thursday, from 5 to 10:30 p.m., Friday and Saturday, from 5 to 11p.m., and Sunday from 5 to 10 p.m.
Mercato has sidewalk seating available on clear nights, spring through fall.
In the neighborhood
1201 Race Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Rodeway Inn Center City
- Hilton Garden Inn Center City
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Holiday Inn Express Midtown
- Alexander Inn
- Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
701 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
- Masonic Temple
- National Archives and Records Administration Mid-Atlantic Region
- The Athenaeum of Philadelphia
- The Irish Memorial
- The 2014 Philadelphia Flower Show
- Campus Philly CollegeFest
- Mural Arts Program
- The Fabric Workshop and Museum
- Merriam Theater
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining