Joseph Fox Bookshop
Small but mighty, this Rittenhouse Square mainstay packs a literary punch
Joseph Fox Bookshop is one of Philadelphia’s great hidden gems. Donning an unassuming façade on a quiet stretch of Sansom Street, Joseph Fox has been an independent supplier of great books since 1951.
An overflowing collection of books fills the store’s small interior. Browsing the colorful walls of titles reveals intelligent and selective collections of classic and contemporary literature. And each book is beautifully handled, making even old, familiar favorites appear new and prime for re-reading.
Joseph Fox was one of the first bookstores in Philadelphia to specialize in architecture books. Today, architecture still holds court in the store’s largest, most open section, while music, film and the visual arts are also represented with an impressive array of rare titles.
And for the younger readers in tow, kids will love the section in the back dedicated to the likes of Junie B. Jones, Eloise and Harry Potter.
Ask Joseph Fox’s knowledgeable, book-loving staff to special order any in-print title not found at the store. Some orders can even be delivered overnight!
In the neighborhood
111 South 15th Street Philadelphia, PA 19102
- AKA Rittenhouse Square
- Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel
- Hyatt at The Bellevue
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Radisson Blu Warwick Hotel Rittenhouse Square Philadelphia
- The Westin Philadelphia
- Hotel Palomar Philadelphia
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- The Rittenhouse
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
2125 Chestnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19103
- The PFS Roxy Theater
- The Academy of Music
- Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia
- One Liberty Observation Deck
- Lion Crushing a Serpent
- Philadelphia International
Festival of the Arts (PIFA)
- Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame and Adolph and Rose Levis Sports Museum
- Philadelphia Theatre Company
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining