Emergence of a Modern Metropolis Walking Tour
Explore the social, economic and political forces that helped Philadelphia become an architectural jewel
Explore the social, economic and political forces that helped transform Philadelphia from an engine of industry to a 21st Century capital of business and culture. Featuring the architecture and urban design on the city, this two-hour walking tour will introduce you to the “Modern Metropolis of Philadelphia.”
Highlights include the spectacular Victorian interior of the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts; the soaring central court of Philadelphia’s first department store, Wanamaker’s (now Macy’s Center City); and the atrium of the brand new Comcast Center, Philadelphia’s tallest skyscraper.
$15/Adult; $5/Children under 12
April – November: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays at 2 p.m.
December – March: Saturdays at 2 p.m.
In the neighborhood
1421 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Home2 Suites by Hilton Philadelphia–
- Four Points by Sheraton Center City
- Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown
- Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
- Loews Philadelphia Hotel
- Hilton Garden Inn Center City
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
Restaurants & Dining
116 S. 18th Street Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Di Bruno Bros.
- The Franklin Mortgage & Investment Company
- Pub & Kitchen
- Honey’s Sit ‘n Eat
- The Comcast Experience HD Video Wall – Comcast Center
- Liberty Block Party
Wawa Welcome America!
- The Barnes Foundation
- Del Frisco’s Double Eagle Steak House
- View more Restuarants & Dining