Free and Friendly Tours
Walking tours of historic Philadelphia
Free and Friendly Tours is a Philly company with Philly guides and will show you the whole range of Philadelphia, its historical monuments and present-day city life – or the whole of what’s in walking distance at least.
Hear the stories hidden behind Philly’s streets and buildings and works of art, from Independence Hall to Isaiah Zagar’s South Street mosaics. Listen as the guides point out some of their favorite places in Philadelphia.
Tours are free, which means you tip what you want, and it’s friendly because your guides are friendly folks who want to make you love Philly as much as they do. Reservations are required for all tours.
The Colonial Cheesesteak Tour
Departs: Benjamin’s Best (401 Chestnut Street)
Journey through Philadelphia’s colonial and revolutionary streets in the footsteps of men like George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and the convicts that carried Ben Franklin to and from the Constitutional Convention. No joke. Uncover the stories hidden in Philadelphia’s history and walk through two of its exciting contemporary neighborhoods, Old City and South Street.
The Billy Penn Tour
Departs: Courtyard of Philadelphia City Hall (Broad and Market Streets)
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Beginning at Philadelphia’s City Hall, a building destined to be the world’s tallest, this tour leads through the bustle of Reading Terminal Market and the luxury of the Wanamaker Building and looks out toward the steps of Philadelphia’s famous Museum of Art. You’ll encounter fighting Quakers, cross-dressing Irishmen and a certain Italian boxer, and learn that the Reading Railroad is more than just square on the Monopoly board.
Visit freefriendlytours.com for a complete schedule of tours and additional information.
In the neighborhood
1200 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Four Points by Sheraton Center City
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Hilton Garden Inn Center City
- Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown
- Home2 Suites by Hilton Philadelphia–
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
1219 Vine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Arch Street United Methodist Church
- The Philadelphia History Museum at the Atwater Kent
- City Hall
- Center for Architecture
- Masonic Temple
- St. Stephen’s Protestant Episcopal Church
- The Fabric Workshop and Museum
- National Archives and Records Administration Mid-Atlantic Region
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining