Free and Friendly Tours
Walking tours of historic Philadelphia
Free and Friendly Tours is a Philly company with Philly guides and will show you the whole range of Philadelphia, its historical monuments and present-day city life – or the whole of what’s in walking distance at least.
Hear the stories hidden behind Philly’s streets and buildings and works of art, from Independence Hall to Isaiah Zagar’s South Street mosaics. Listen as the guides point out some of their favorite places in Philadelphia.
Tours are free, which means you tip what you want, and it’s friendly because your guides are friendly folks who want to make you love Philly as much as they do. Reservations are required for all tours.
The Colonial Cheesesteak Tour
Departs: Benjamin’s Best (401 Chestnut Street)
Journey through Philadelphia’s colonial and revolutionary streets in the footsteps of men like George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and the convicts that carried Ben Franklin to and from the Constitutional Convention. No joke. Uncover the stories hidden in Philadelphia’s history and walk through two of its exciting contemporary neighborhoods, Old City and South Street.
The Billy Penn Tour
Departs: Courtyard of Philadelphia City Hall (Broad and Market Streets)
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Beginning at Philadelphia’s City Hall, a building destined to be the world’s tallest, this tour leads through the bustle of Reading Terminal Market and the luxury of the Wanamaker Building and looks out toward the steps of Philadelphia’s famous Museum of Art. You’ll encounter fighting Quakers, cross-dressing Irishmen and a certain Italian boxer, and learn that the Reading Railroad is more than just square on the Monopoly board.
Visit freefriendlytours.com for a complete schedule of tours and additional information.
In the neighborhood
1421 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102
- Hyatt at The Bellevue
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Alexander Inn
- Inn at the Union League
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
15 South 7th Street Philadelphia, PA 19106
- Emergence of a Modern Metropolis Walking Tour
- Asian Arts Initiative
- Radio One Music & Entertainment Conference
- David Lynch: The Unified Field at PAFA
- The African American Museum in Philadelphia
- The China Gate
- AIA Bookstore & Design Center
- PIFA Street Fair
- The Fabric Workshop and Museum
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
12th and Arch Streets
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Capital Grille
- 10 Arts Bistro & Lounge
- Wok & Walk Tour of Chinatown
- Taste of Philadelphia Food Tour
- Reading Terminal Market’s Pennsylvania Dutch Festival
- Tommy DiNic’s Roast Pork and Beef
- McCormick and Schmick’s
- View more Restuarants & Dining