Monthly open house for galleries in Philadelphia
The First Friday evening of each month, rain or shine, year-round
5 to 9 p.m.
Want proof of Philadelphia’s happening art scene? On the first Friday evening of every month, the streets of Old City fill with art lovers of all kinds who wander among the neighborhood’s 40-plus galleries, most of them open from 5 to 9 p.m.
A casual atmosphere encourages art and people watching, eating at Philadelphia’s fantastic restaurants and just plain mingling. There’s diversity both in the crowd and among the galleries, adding flavor to the experience. Most galleries can be found between Front and Third streets, and Market and Vine streets.
First Friday has grown so popular that events now extend to other Philadelphia neighborhoods as well, including Fishtown.
Started in 1991 by a group of galleries as a collaborative open house evening, First Fridays grew quickly into one of Philly’s most vital, signature cultural events. Old City’s historic commercial buildings have fostered a SoHo-like cultural ambiance with the densest network of galleries in the city.
Some of the arts organizations you can visit on First Fridays include the Clay Studio; the Temple Gallery; the cooperative galleries Nexus, Highwire, Muse and Third Street Gallery; and collaborative Space 1026.
Bird Park, a pocket park on Third Street just below Arch, features changing installations by sculptors invited by nearby Gallery Joe. View, converse, relax – it’s free.
And after you hit the galleries, don’t miss out on the superb dining and nightlife that Old City has to offer. The neighborhood is filled with great restaurants, bars, lounges and cafes — Amada, Buddakan, Farmicia, Continental, Fork and Cuba Libre are but a few of the great spots at which to enjoy dinner, drinks, good company and more.
For more information on First Friday, click the button below.
In the neighborhood
100 N. Columbus Boulevard
Philadelphia, PA 19106
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- The Morris House Hotel
- Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
- Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
- Hilton Garden Inn Center City
- Loews Philadelphia Hotel
- Four Points by Sheraton Center City
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Holiday Inn Express Midtown
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
601 Walnut Street
In the Lobby of the Curtis Center
Philadelphia, PA 19106
- The Philadelphia History Museum at the Atwater Kent
- Starman in the Ancient Garden
- National Constitution Center
- The Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania
- Campus Philly CollegeFest
- Merriam Theater
- Philadelphia Open Studio Tours
- The African American Museum in Philadelphia
- The 2015 Philadelphia Flower Show
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
1312 South Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147
- 1225 Raw Sushi & Sake Lounge
- Tommy DiNic’s Roast Pork and Beef
- The Bourse
- Reading Terminal Market’s Pennsylvania Dutch Festival
- National Mechanics
- Percy Street Barbecue
- View more Restuarants & Dining