Cathedral Basilica of
Saints Peter and Paul
The largest Catholic church in Pennsylvania
Opened in 1864, the Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter of Paul serves as the principal or Mother Church of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia as it houses the chair or “cathedra” of the Archbishop.
The largest Catholic church in Pennsylvania, the Basilica was modeled after the Lombard Church of St. Charles in Rome and is the only cathedral in the United States built in the Roman-Corinthian architectural style.
With its massive stone columns and highly recognizable great dome, the Basilica is Philadelphia’s largest brownstone structure. It was designed by Philadelphia architect Napoleon LeBrun, whose notable work includes the Philadelphia Academy of Music, and John Notman, who also designed St. Mark’s Episcopal Church in Philadelphia.
Throughout the interior of the great dome are paintings by Constantino Brumidi, famed painter of the U.S. Capitol in Washington D.C.
Inside the sacred structure, visitors will discover various shrines, altars, statues and art. For additional information during your visit, look for the helpful Cathedral Ambassors dressed in maroon blazers.
The Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul is open daily from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
For additional hours and the current mass schedule, visit www.cathedralphila.org
Take a self-guided tour of the Basilica with a free, 20-minute audio tour available for download. During your visit, scan specially marked QR codes with your smartphone to begin your tour or click here to download online.
18th Street & Benjamin Franklin Parkway
Philadelphia, PA 19103
In the neighborhood
1 E. Penn Square
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Embassy Suites Philadelphia – Center City
- Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
- Le Méridien Philadelphia
- Four Seasons Philadelphia
- Best Western Center City Hotel
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- The Windsor Suites Philadelphia
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
1701 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Emergence of a Modern Metropolis Walking Tour
- Swann Memorial Fountain
- Ellsworth Kelly: Sculpture On The Wall
- Campus Philly College Day
- Three-Way Piece Number 1: Points
- “Great and Mighty Things”: Outsider Art from the Jill and Sheldon Bonovitz Collection
- The Art of Golf at the
Philadelphia Museum of Art
- Made In America Music Festival
- Sister Cities Park
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
16th Street and the Benjamin Franklin Parkway
Philadelphia, PA 19102
- The Comcast Experience HD Video Wall – Comcast Center
- View more Restuarants & Dining