Chemical Heritage Foundation
An interactive space where the chemical and molecular sciences come to life
In the early 1980s, a group of science professionals came together and determined that the country needed an organization devoted to the chemical and molecular sciences and industries.
And really, what better scientific city than Philadelphia — the home of Benjamin Franklin and electricy — to be the CHF’s home base? Thus, in 1982, the CHF was born in Philadelphia.
In 2008, the CHF opened their new museum and conference center, a $20-million project that transformed the 1865 First National Bank building into a highly interactive, fun and sustainable space.
It’s a wonderful place to experience chemistry in a way that’s both fun and educational.
The highlight of the new museum is its permanent exhibit, Making Modernity, where you can explore how chemistry touches our everyday lives. The exhibit includes scientific instruments, rare books, fine art and the personal papers of prominent scientists.
Topics in the exhibit range from alchemy, synthetics, and the chemical-instrument revolution to chemistry education, electrochemistry, chemistry sets, and the science of color. No matter your level of chemistry knowledge, Making Modernity will give you a fresh perspective on the world around you.
In the neighborhood
400 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Holiday Inn Express Midtown
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Rodeway Inn Center City
- Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
- The Morris House Hotel
- Holiday Inn Express
- Four Points by Sheraton Center City
- Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
P.O. Box 17275 Various Locations in Philadelphia Philadelphia, PA 19105
- Campus Philly College Day
- National Archives and Records Administration Mid-Atlantic Region
- Mural Arts Program
- The Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania
- PSFS Building
- The Fabric Workshop and Museum
- The Academy of Music
- Masonic Temple
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
900 South Street Philadelphia, PA 19147
- Tria – Wine Beer & Cheese Café
- Ms. Tootsie’s Restaurant Bar Lounge
- Zavino Pizzeria and Wine Bar
- Garces Trading Company
- Tommy DiNic’s Roast Pork and Beef
- M Restaurant at the Morris House Hotel
- 1225 Raw Sushi & Sake Lounge
- View more Restuarants & Dining