Medical wonders in an architectural gem
The Mütter Museum is a riveting storehouse for the anatomically strange. The Museum’s display of 20,000 provocative items is designed to give a beneath-the-surface perspective of what physicians study.
Inside the Museum, you’ll find a wide smattering of abnormal body parts preserved in fluid. You’ll encounter skeletal formations — like that of a 7’6” man — that don’t seem quite possible. Diseased and enlarged organs are tastefully displayed within glass-encased oak frames.
For the sake of comparison, illustrations of normal anatomical formations are cast in wax, plaster and papier mâché throughout the museum.
Connections to the famous include Marie Curie’s electrometer, Dr. Benjamin Rush’s medicine chest and, most spectacularly, the death cast of Chang and Eng, the original “Siamese Twins,” whose autopsy was performed in the museum.
Philadelphia physician Thomas Mütter donated $30,000 and his 1,700-item personal museum of bones, plaster casts, medical illustrations and other pathological artifacts to the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. The College has continued to add to the collection since it opened as a museum in 1863.
The Mütter collection moved into its current building, which boasts grand marble and oak halls, in 1908.
Buy Tickets Online
Purchase tickets for general admission to the Mütter Museum in advance of your visit. Click the button below to buy tickets online at the Independence Visitor Center.
- PATH: http://www.uwishunu.com/tag/mutter-museum/feed/image/
Latest Mutter Museum Stories from Uwishunu.com
October 30, 2013The Mütter Museum Hosts A Sleepover Party With Flashlight Tours, A Movie Screening, Drinks And More, November 8-9
October 30, 2013Roundup: Day Of The Dead Celebrations At Bars, Restaurants And Museums In Philadelphia
October 29, 2013Halloween In Philadelphia 2013: Experience Haunted Philadelphia In Celebration Of The Spooky Season
April 3, 2013The Mütter Museum Turns Back The Clock With This Year’s Mad Men-Themed Mütter Ball, Saturday, April 6
April 2, 2013With Art Philadelphia: Top Picks for April Art Happenings In And Around The City
- Uwishunu covers everything fun and exciting happening in Philadelphia — read it daily for the latest on restaurants, bars, events, festivals, arts, music, hotels and more.
In the neighborhood
201 N. 17th Street
(17th and Race Streets)
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel
- The Windsor Suites Philadelphia
- The Westin Philadelphia
- Sofitel Philadelphia
- Embassy Suites Philadelphia – Center City
- Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel
- Le Méridien Philadelphia
- Hilton Inn at Penn
- Hotel Palomar Philadelphia
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
118-128 N. Broad Street
(Broad and Cherry Streets)
Philadelphia, PA 19102
- Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia
- Peter Nero and the Philly Pops
- Philadelphia Theatre Company
- Opera Philadelphia
- Rittenhouse Square
- City Hall
- The Wilma Theater
- Monument to Six Million Jewish Martyrs
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
128 S. 19th Street Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Di Bruno Bros.
- The Comcast Experience HD Video Wall – Comcast Center
- R2L Restaurant and Lounge
- Café Lutecia
- Center City District Sips
- The Dandelion Pub
- Twenty Manning Grill
- Village Whiskey
- Honey’s Sit ‘n Eat
- View more Restuarants & Dining