Medical wonders in an architectural gem
The Mütter Museum is a riveting storehouse for the anatomically strange. The Museum’s display of 20,000 provocative items is designed to give a beneath-the-surface perspective of what physicians study.
Inside the Museum, you’ll find a wide smattering of abnormal body parts preserved in fluid. You’ll encounter skeletal formations — like that of a 7’6” man — that don’t seem quite possible. Diseased and enlarged organs are tastefully displayed within glass-encased oak frames.
For the sake of comparison, illustrations of normal anatomical formations are cast in wax, plaster and papier mâché throughout the museum.
Connections to the famous include Marie Curie’s electrometer, Dr. Benjamin Rush’s medicine chest and, most spectacularly, the death cast of Chang and Eng, the original “Siamese Twins,” whose autopsy was performed in the museum.
Philadelphia physician Thomas Mütter donated $30,000 and his 1,700-item personal museum of bones, plaster casts, medical illustrations and other pathological artifacts to the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. The College has continued to add to the collection since it opened as a museum in 1863.
The Mütter collection moved into its current building, which boasts grand marble and oak halls, in 1908.
Click the button below for more information on the Mütter Museum and to purchase tickets in advance.
In the neighborhood
117 S. 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- The Windsor Suites Philadelphia
- Hilton Inn at Penn
- AKA Rittenhouse Square
- Embassy Suites Philadelphia – Center City
- Latham Hotel
- Le Méridien Philadelphia
- Four Seasons Philadelphia
- Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel
- Radisson Blu Warwick Hotel Philadelphia
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
Broad and Spruce Streets
Philadelphia, PA 19102
- Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University
- LOVE Statue
- Campus Philly CollegeFest
- Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia
- Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
- Monument to Six Million Jewish Martyrs
- The Choral Arts Society of Philadelphia
- Philadelphia Rock ‘n’ Roll Half-Marathon
- Philadelphia Chamber Music Society
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
118 S. 20th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- The Barnes Foundation
- Center City District Restaurant Week
- Steve’s Prince of Steaks
- Nodding Head Brewery and Restaurant
- Alma De Cuba
- Del Frisco’s Double Eagle Steak House
- Tavern 17
- The Franklin Mortgage & Investment Company
- View more Restuarants & Dining