Medical wonders in an architectural gem
The Mütter Museum is a riveting storehouse for the anatomically strange. The Museum’s display of 20,000 provocative items is designed to give a beneath-the-surface perspective of what physicians study.
Inside the Museum, you’ll find a wide smattering of abnormal body parts preserved in fluid. You’ll encounter skeletal formations — like that of a 7’6” man — that don’t seem quite possible. Diseased and enlarged organs are tastefully displayed within glass-encased oak frames.
For the sake of comparison, illustrations of normal anatomical formations are cast in wax, plaster and papier mâché throughout the museum.
Connections to the famous include Marie Curie’s electrometer, Dr. Benjamin Rush’s medicine chest and, most spectacularly, the death cast of Chang and Eng, the original “Siamese Twins,” whose autopsy was performed in the museum.
Philadelphia physician Thomas Mütter donated $30,000 and his 1,700-item personal museum of bones, plaster casts, medical illustrations and other pathological artifacts to the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. The College has continued to add to the collection since it opened as a museum in 1863.
The Mütter collection moved into its current building, which boasts grand marble and oak halls, in 1908.
Buy Tickets In Advance
Tickets for the Mütter Museum are available online or at the Independence Visitor Center. Click the button below to purchase tickets online.
- PATH: http://www.uwishunu.com/tag/mutter-museum/feed/image/
Latest Mutter Museum Stories from Uwishunu.com
April 3, 2013The Mütter Museum Turns Back The Clock With This Year’s Mad Men-Themed Mütter Ball, Saturday, April 6
April 2, 2013With Art Philadelphia: Top Picks for April Art Happenings In And Around The City
December 7, 2012Roundup: Museum Gift Shops In Philadelphia To Consider For Unique Holiday Presents This Season
December 3, 2012Sneak Peek Inside Some Of The Spots To Be Featured Tonight On The Philadelphia Episode Of Anthony Bourdain’s The Layover
October 26, 2012Harry Potter’s Guide To Philadelphia: A Special Hogwartsian Itinerary In Honor Of Chestnut Hill’s 2012 Harry Potter Weekend, October 26-28
- Uwishunu covers everything fun and exciting happening in Philadelphia — read it daily for the latest on restaurants, bars, events, festivals, arts, music, hotels and more.
19 S. 22nd Street
College of Physicians of Philadelphia
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Events could not be retrieved at this time
In the neighborhood
201 N. 17th Street
(17th and Race Streets)
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Hotel Palomar Philadelphia
- Embassy Suites Philadelphia – Center City
- Best Western Center City Hotel
- Sonesta Hotel Philadelphia
- Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel
- Le Méridien Philadelphia
- Radisson Plaza-Warwick Hotel
- Latham Hotel
- Hilton Inn at Penn
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
Broad Street and Spruce Street Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Prince Music Theater
- Shoe Museum
- The Comcast Experience HD Video Wall – Comcast Center
- Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
- Peter Nero and the Philly Pops
- Rittenhouse Square
- City Hall
- Government of the People
- Opera Company of Philadelphia
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
2301 Lombard Street
Philadelphia, PA 19146
- The Franklin Mortgage & Investment Company
- Tavern 17
- Village Whiskey
- Table 31 at the Comcast Center
- Alma De Cuba
- The Dandelion Pub
- R2L Restaurant and Lounge
- Del Frisco’s Double Eagle Steak House
- View more Restuarants & Dining