Medical wonders in an architectural gem
The Mütter Museum is a riveting storehouse for the anatomically strange. The Museum’s display of 20,000 provocative items is designed to give a beneath-the-surface perspective of what physicians study.
Inside the Museum, you’ll find a wide smattering of abnormal body parts preserved in fluid. You’ll encounter skeletal formations — like that of a 7’6” man — that don’t seem quite possible. Diseased and enlarged organs are tastefully displayed within glass-encased oak frames.
For the sake of comparison, illustrations of normal anatomical formations are cast in wax, plaster and papier mâché throughout the museum.
Connections to the famous include Marie Curie’s electrometer, Dr. Benjamin Rush’s medicine chest and, most spectacularly, the death cast of Chang and Eng, the original “Siamese Twins,” whose autopsy was performed in the museum.
Philadelphia physician Thomas Mütter donated $30,000 and his 1,700-item personal museum of bones, plaster casts, medical illustrations and other pathological artifacts to the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. The College has continued to add to the collection since it opened as a museum in 1863.
The Mütter collection moved into its current building, which boasts grand marble and oak halls, in 1908.
Click the button below for more information on the Mütter Museum and to purchase tickets in advance.
In the neighborhood
99 S. 17th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- The Windsor Suites Philadelphia
- Hotel Palomar Philadelphia
- Hilton Inn at Penn
- Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel
- Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel
- Le Méridien Philadelphia
- Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown Hotel
- Latham Hotel
- Embassy Suites Philadelphia – Center City
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
22nd Street and Benjamin Franklin Parkway
Along Benjamin Franklin Parkway
Philadelphia, PA 19109
- Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts
- Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia
- Henry J. Cadbury Library
- Philadelphia Rock ‘n’ Roll Half-Marathon
- LOVE Statue
- Philadelphia Chamber Music Society
- Philadelphia Theatre Company
- Monument to Six Million Jewish Martyrs
- Government of the People
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
2025 Benjamin Franklin Parkway
Philadelphia, PA 19130
- Di Bruno Bros.
- Honey’s Sit ‘n Eat
- Pub & Kitchen
- Steve’s Prince of Steaks
- R2L Restaurant and Lounge
- Clover Market
- Café Lutecia
- The Franklin Mortgage & Investment Company
- Alma De Cuba
- View more Restuarants & Dining