Philadelphia International Airport
The Gateway to Philadelphia and The Countryside®
Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) is the only major airport serving the 5th largest metropolitan area in the United States. In 2009, PHL accommodated 30.6 million passengers, including 4 million international passengers, and handled 472,668 aircraft takeoffs and landings. Twenty-eight airlines offer nearly 600 daily departures to 120 cities, including 36 international destinations. PHL is owned and operated by the City of Philadelphia. Located seven miles from downtown Philadelphia, the Airport is easily accessible from Interstates 76, 95, 476 as well as high speed train service to Center City.
Location and Transportation
Philadelphia International Airport is located at 8000 Essington Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19153.
The Ground Transportation System at the Airport is an extensive network of taxicab, car rental, shuttle-bus, limousine, and van operations working to get you where you want to go in a safe, courteous and efficient manner. In addition, the Airport also offers SEPTA bus and regional rail service to Center City Philadelphia and points in between.
Long-term parking is available in the Garages and in the Economy Lot; parking in the Short-Term lot is recommended for visits of less than one hour(overnight parking is not permitted in the Short-Term log.
Parking Rates are as follows:
- Economy Lot: $11.00 daily- (6,278 spaces)
- Garage Parking: $20.00 daily – (10,800 spaces) $5.00 up to 1 hr, $15.00 up to 3 hrs
- Short-Term Lot: $38 daily – (800 spaces) $5.00 up to 1 hr, $20.00 up to 4 hrs
For more information on Airport parking, contact the Philadelphia Parking Authority at 215-683-9840 or consult their website.
A free Cell Cell Phone Waiting Lot located on-Airport, about a minute’s drive to the baggage claim areas. Enter the Airport using the Arriving Flights roadway and follow the signs to the Cell Phone Waiting Lot. The lot has space for 150 vehicles as well as digital flight monitors. Motorists must stay in their vehicles while waiting in the lot.
Throughout Philadelphia International Airport travelers can enjoy free wireless internet.
Here are some pointers for ensuring a smooth airport experience:
- Check the status of your flight by contacting your airline directly, or call the Airport at 800-PHL-GATE, or visit the Airport’s website and click on “Flight Information.”
- Extra time will be needed for checking-in and security screening, so get to the Airport 2 hours prior to a domestic departure and 3 hours prior to an international departure.
- Liquids, gels and aerosols in 3-ounce or smaller containers may be carried onto the aircraft in a re-sealable, one-quart, clear plastic bag. Only one such bag per passenger is permitted and it must be removed from your bag for inspection at the checkpoint. Liquids, gels and aerosols in containers larger than 3 ounces must be placed in your checked baggage. Exceptions are made for prescription and over-the-counter medicines, baby formula, and breast milk. NOTE: Free, one-quart, re-sealable plastic bags are available at Information Counters throughout the airport.
- Carry-on baggage is limited to one piece of luggage and one personal item such as a purse or briefcase. The personal item must fit under your seat and the luggage must fit into the overhead bin on the aircraft or it will not be permitted on board. Check with your airline for specific carry-on baggage allowances.
- Passengers must obtain boarding passes before entering the security checkpoint. At the checkpoint, have boarding passes and photo ID ready for inspection by TSA personnel and keep these documents handy until you exit the checkpoint.
- Most airlines assess a fee for checked bags. Check with your airline for specific policies and fees for checked bags.
- If you are not checking any bags, you may not have to wait in line at the ticket counter to obtain a boarding pass. Most airlines now allow passengers to check in and print boarding passes from their websites, and most airlines have check-in kiosks at the Airport. Check with your airline prior to arriving at the Airport.
- At checkpoints, passengers can choose screening lanes based upon their travel experience and needs in order to facilitate the screening process: Expert (frequent travelers who are very familiar with security screening procedures), Casual (sometime travelers who are somewhat accustomed to the security screening process), and Family/Special Assistance (families traveling with small children, passengers requiring special assistance, unfamiliar with the security screening process, or traveling with more than 3 ounces of medically necessary liquids).
- To expedite your passage through the checkpoint, place personal items like cell phones, pagers, Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs), keys, loose change and jewelry into your carry-on bag or use one of the free re-sealable bags available at the Information Counters. At the checkpoint, the TSA provides bins in which to place these personal items along with shoes, coats, jackets and belts, which must be passed through the X-ray machine.
- Remove laptops and video cameras with cassettes from their cases and place them in a bin to be X-rayed. Video games with consoles must also be removed from bags and placed in a separate bin for screening.
- Equipment used to screen checked baggage will damage undeveloped film. Pack undeveloped film in your carry-on bag. Remove undeveloped high-speed and specialty film from canisters and place in a clear plastic bag. Screening equipment will not affect digital cameras or electronic image storage cards.
Click here for our listing of hotels located near the airport.
8000 Essington Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19153
In the neighborhood
500 Stevens Drive Philadelphia, PA 19113
- Four Points by Sheraton Philadelphia Airport
- Philadelphia Airport Marriott
- Best Western Philadelphia Airport
South at Widener
- Hilton Philadelphia Airport
- Courtyard Philadelphia Airport
- Fairfield Inn Philadelphia Airport
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Airport
- Sheraton Suites Philadelphia Airport
- Aloft Philadelphia Airport Hotel
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions