The New Race Street Pier
Relaxing waterfront respite in the heart of the city
Open 7 a.m. until 11 p.m.
Adding to Philadelphia’s amazing outdoor spaces, the new Race Street Pier on the Delaware River Waterfront is a relaxing respite in the heart of the city.
Located in the shadow of the Benjamin Franklin Bridge, the Pier features two-levels for riverside recreation. The upper terrace, dubbed the grand sky promenade, rises 12-feet towards the bridge and is paved with Trex, a sustainable, synthetic decking material made out of reclaimed plastic and wood. The promenade is connected to the lower terrace by a multi-tiered seating area, perfect for watching the tide roll in.
Coincidentally, at high tide the river comes just 4.5 feet from the lower level of the pier, bringing you right up to the water’s edge.
The Race Street Pier is picnic-friendly with a spacious lawn featuring multiple types of grasses and perennials along with more than three-dozen trees cultivated in New Jersey for the World Trade Center Memorial at Ground Zero in New York City.
The pier is the first part of a multi-phase revitalization of the Central Delaware Waterfront. Click here to learn more.
The new Race Street Pier is not just a daytime destination, as the pier features extensive lighting including fully lighted rails and over 200 LED Solar Light Blocks embedded into the paving.
All visitors are provided with free, 4G WiMAX internet access courtesy of Clear.
In the neighborhood
201 S. Columbus Boulevard
Philadelphia, PA 19106
- Best Western Independence Park Hotel
- Holiday Inn Express
- Philadelphia Segway Tours
- Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District
- Hotel Monaco Philadelphia
- Omni at Independence Park
- Penn’s View Hotel
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
230 Vine Street Philadelphia, PA 19106
- The Constitutional Walking Tour of Philadelphia
- The Liberty 360 3-D Show
at the PECO Theater
- Tin Angel
- The African American Museum in Philadelphia
- United States Mint
- National Museum of American Jewish History
- Arch Street Friends Meeting House
- The Philadelphia History Museum at the Atwater Kent
- Fireman’s Hall
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
401 S. Columbus Boulevard
Philadelphia, PA 19106
- Camden Waterfront Freedom Festival
- Caribbean Festival
- PECO Multicultural Series
at Penn’s Landing
- Spruce Street Harbor Park
- Night Out Restaurant Week
- Keating’s River Grill
- Super Scooper “All-You-Can-Eat”
Ice Cream Festival
- Spirit of Philadelphia
- View more Restuarants & Dining