The African American Museum in Philadelphia
Celebrating and interpreting African American history and culture
With a diverse collection of fine and folk art, photographs, memorabilia and costumes, this museum in Philadelphia’s historic district traces the experiences and contributions of African-Americans from the kingdoms of Africa through to the present. The museum’s exhibits tell the story of African American life, focusing on topics such as family life, the visual arts, entertainment, politics, and sports.
The museum currently houses four galleries and an auditorium, each anchored by one of three dominant themes: the African Diaspora, the Philadelphia Story, and the Contemporary Narrative.
As an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, the museum often links its exhibits to national and international trends. The museum’s gift shop is stocked with a wide selection of books and videos, African textiles, and African American jewelry and prints.
The African American Museum in Philadelphia was among the museums to open during the 1976 Bicentennial celebration and is notable as the first museum funded and built by a city to help preserve African American culture. Located just a few blocks away from the Liberty Bell, the museum’s modernistic public sculptures, “The Whispering Bells” and “Nisaka,” are distinctive landmarks in the downtown historic district.
Open Tue – Sun
The exhibit on the integration of Girard College, Philadelphia’s most prominent Civil Rights issue, shows how one city weathered the 1960s storm.
Some Kids’ Stuff
Kids will especially like perusing singer Pearl Bailey’s theatrical items and seeing how the stars of the Negro Leagues compared with those in the “white” majors.
In the neighborhood
1201 Market Street Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Loews Philadelphia Hotel
- Hilton Garden Inn Center City
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Home2 Suites by Hilton Philadelphia–
- Le Méridien Philadelphia
- Four Points by Sheraton Center City
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
1300 Market Street Macy's Grand Court Philadelphia, PA 19107
- National Archives and Records Administration Mid-Atlantic Region
- PSFS Building
- Hard Rock Cafe Philadelphia
- Arch Street United Methodist Church
- The Fabric Workshop and Museum
- PIFA Street Fair
- Emergence of a Modern Metropolis Walking Tour
- Masonic Temple
- Radio One Music & Entertainment Conference
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
231 S. 8th Street Philadelphia, PA 19106
- Percy Street Barbecue
- Campus Philly CollegeFest
- Tommy DiNic’s Roast Pork and Beef
- Center City District Restaurant Week
- 1225 Raw Sushi & Sake Lounge
- Reading Terminal Market’s Pennsylvania Dutch Festival
- View more Restuarants & Dining