The Fabric Workshop and Museum
Devoted to artists creating new work in fabrics and other materials
The Fabric Workshop and Museum (FWM) is a contemporary art museum devoted to creating work in new materials and new media in collaboration with artists coming from diverse artistic backgrounds. The only museum of its kind in the world, The Fabric Workshop and Museum counts among its permanent collection works by well-known names (architects Robert Venturi and Denise Scott Brown, sculptor Louise Bourgeois, photographer Carrie Mae Weems, artist Robert Morris) working in, for them, a different medium.
Special exhibits run throughout the year and may be artist-specific or themed, such as one entitled “Comfort Zone” (exploring how artists have created textile-based objects and structures that responds to the human needs for warmth and protection). For unique gifts, a museum shop offers artist-designed canvas bags, scarves, napkins, ties, pillows, umbrellas, and t-shirts.
Founded in 1977, The Fabric Workshop initially offered artists and students the opportunity to explore silkscreen printing on fabric. Over the years, new materials and techniques entered the mix and, in 1996, the word “Museum” was added to its name, to reflect the growing collection of what now comprises more than 5,600 works by some 500 artists.
Monday – Friday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: 12 noon to 5 p.m.
Group tours are available by appointment. Call (215) 561-8888 (x247) for more information.
The Museum occasionally offers lectures and video presentations. Additionally, visitors are encouraged to tour studios where artists-in-residence are working.
In the neighborhood
1201 Race Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Home2 Suites by Hilton Philadelphia–
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown
- Hilton Garden Inn Center City
- Loews Philadelphia Hotel
- Le Méridien Philadelphia
- Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
1420 Locust Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
- The 2015 Philadelphia Flower Show
- Philadelphia Open Studio Tours
- Dream Garden
- Merriam Theater
- National Museum of American Jewish History
- Center City District Sips
- Masonic Temple
- Mural Arts Program
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
10 Avenue of the Arts
Philadelphia, PA 19102
- Reading Terminal Market
- Capital Grille
- Reading Terminal Market’s Pennsylvania Dutch Festival
- Taste of Philadelphia Food Tour
- Wok & Walk Tour of Chinatown
- McCormick and Schmick’s
- Bank & Bourbon
- View more Restuarants & Dining