The Fabric Workshop and Museum
Devoted to artists creating new work in fabrics and other materials
The Fabric Workshop and Museum (FWM) is a contemporary art museum devoted to creating work in new materials and new media in collaboration with artists coming from diverse artistic backgrounds. The only museum of its kind in the world, The Fabric Workshop and Museum counts among its permanent collection works by well-known names (architects Robert Venturi and Denise Scott Brown, sculptor Louise Bourgeois, photographer Carrie Mae Weems, artist Robert Morris) working in, for them, a different medium.
Special exhibits run throughout the year and may be artist-specific or themed, such as one entitled “Comfort Zone” (exploring how artists have created textile-based objects and structures that responds to the human needs for warmth and protection). For unique gifts, a museum shop offers artist-designed canvas bags, scarves, napkins, ties, pillows, umbrellas, and t-shirts.
Founded in 1977, The Fabric Workshop initially offered artists and students the opportunity to explore silkscreen printing on fabric. Over the years, new materials and techniques entered the mix and, in 1996, the word “Museum” was added to its name, to reflect the growing collection of what now comprises more than 5,600 works by some 500 artists.
Monday – Friday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: 12 noon to 5 p.m.
Group tours are available by appointment. Call (215) 561-8888 (x247) for more information.
The Museum occasionally offers lectures and video presentations. Additionally, visitors are encouraged to tour studios where artists-in-residence are working.
In the neighborhood
1234 Locust Street Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
- Holiday Inn Express
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City Convention Center
- Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District
- The Morris House Hotel
- Four Points by Sheraton
Philadelphia City Center
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
112 Chestnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19106
- National Liberty Museum
- The Athenaeum of Philadelphia
- Independence Visitor Center
- Philly POPS! On Independence 2016
- Elfreth’s Alley
- The Bourse
- Mother Bethel African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church
- Independence Hall
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
1200 Market Street Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Tommy DiNic’s Roast Pork and Beef
- Capital Grille
- Reading Terminal Market
- Fratelli’s Italian Bistro
- Wok & Walk Tour of Chinatown
- Taste of Philadelphia Food Tour
- Hard Rock Cafe Philadelphia
- View more Restuarants & Dining