The Fabric Workshop and Museum
Devoted to artists creating new work in fabrics and other materials
The Fabric Workshop and Museum (FWM) is a contemporary art museum devoted to creating work in new materials and new media in collaboration with artists coming from diverse artistic backgrounds. The only museum of its kind in the world, The Fabric Workshop and Museum counts among its permanent collection works by well-known names (architects Robert Venturi and Denise Scott Brown, sculptor Louise Bourgeois, photographer Carrie Mae Weems, artist Robert Morris) working in, for them, a different medium.
Special exhibits run throughout the year and may be artist-specific or themed, such as one entitled “Comfort Zone” (exploring how artists have created textile-based objects and structures that responds to the human needs for warmth and protection). For unique gifts, a museum shop offers artist-designed canvas bags, scarves, napkins, ties, pillows, umbrellas, and t-shirts.
Founded in 1977, The Fabric Workshop initially offered artists and students the opportunity to explore silkscreen printing on fabric. Over the years, new materials and techniques entered the mix and, in 1996, the word “Museum” was added to its name, to reflect the growing collection of what now comprises more than 5,600 works by some 500 artists.
Monday – Friday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: 12 noon to 5 p.m.
Group tours are available by appointment. Call (215) 561-8888 (x247) for more information.
The Museum occasionally offers lectures and video presentations. Additionally, visitors are encouraged to tour studios where artists-in-residence are working.
In the neighborhood
1 E. Penn Square
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Home2 Suites by Hilton Philadelphia–
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Loews Philadelphia Hotel
- Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
- Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown
- Four Points by Sheraton Center City
- Le Méridien Philadelphia
- Hilton Garden Inn Center City
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
1218 Arch Street Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Chinese Friendship Gate
- Masonic Temple
- City Hall
- David Lynch: The Unified Field at PAFA
- PIFA Street Fair
- Mural Arts Program
- St. Stephen’s Protestant Episcopal Church
- Radio One Music & Entertainment Conference
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
12th and Spruce Streets
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Percy Street Barbecue
- Reading Terminal Market’s Pennsylvania Dutch Festival
- Taste of Philadelphia Food Tour
- El Vez
- Center City District Restaurant Week
- Campus Philly CollegeFest
- Garces Trading Company
- View more Restuarants & Dining