The Fabric Workshop and Museum
Devoted to artists creating new work in fabrics and other materials
The Fabric Workshop and Museum (FWM) is a contemporary art museum devoted to creating work in new materials and new media in collaboration with artists coming from diverse artistic backgrounds. The only museum of its kind in the world, The Fabric Workshop and Museum counts among its permanent collection works by well-known names (architects Robert Venturi and Denise Scott Brown, sculptor Louise Bourgeois, photographer Carrie Mae Weems, artist Robert Morris) working in, for them, a different medium.
Special exhibits run throughout the year and may be artist-specific or themed, such as one entitled “Comfort Zone” (exploring how artists have created textile-based objects and structures that responds to the human needs for warmth and protection). For unique gifts, a museum shop offers artist-designed canvas bags, scarves, napkins, ties, pillows, umbrellas, and t-shirts.
Founded in 1977, The Fabric Workshop initially offered artists and students the opportunity to explore silkscreen printing on fabric. Over the years, new materials and techniques entered the mix and, in 1996, the word “Museum” was added to its name, to reflect the growing collection of what now comprises more than 5,600 works by some 500 artists.
Monday – Friday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: 12 noon to 5 p.m.
Group tours are available by appointment. Call (215) 561-8888 (x247) for more information.
The Museum occasionally offers lectures and video presentations. Additionally, visitors are encouraged to tour studios where artists-in-residence are working.
In the neighborhood
1305 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- Holiday Inn Express
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Four Points by Sheraton Center City
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Rodeway Inn Center City
- The Morris House Hotel
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
12th and Arch Streets
The Pennsylvania Convention Center
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- National Museum of American Jewish History
- The Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania
- Merriam Theater
- The Academy of Music
- St. Stephen’s Protestant Episcopal Church
- Philadelphia Open Studio Tours
- National Constitution Center
- Pennsylvania Hospital
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
1216 Spruce Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- 1225 Raw Sushi & Sake Lounge
- Bank & Bourbon
- M Restaurant at the Morris House Hotel
- Zavino Pizzeria and Wine Bar
- Percy Street Barbecue
- National Mechanics
- Campus Philly CollegeFest
- Reading Terminal Market’s Pennsylvania Dutch Festival
- View more Restuarants & Dining