The Fabric Workshop and Museum
Devoted to artists creating new work in fabrics and other materials
The Fabric Workshop and Museum (FWM) is a contemporary art museum devoted to creating work in new materials and new media in collaboration with artists coming from diverse artistic backgrounds. The only museum of its kind in the world, The Fabric Workshop and Museum counts among its permanent collection works by well-known names (architects Robert Venturi and Denise Scott Brown, sculptor Louise Bourgeois, photographer Carrie Mae Weems, artist Robert Morris) working in, for them, a different medium.
Special exhibits run throughout the year and may be artist-specific or themed, such as one entitled “Comfort Zone” (exploring how artists have created textile-based objects and structures that responds to the human needs for warmth and protection). For unique gifts, a museum shop offers artist-designed canvas bags, scarves, napkins, ties, pillows, umbrellas, and t-shirts.
Founded in 1977, The Fabric Workshop initially offered artists and students the opportunity to explore silkscreen printing on fabric. Over the years, new materials and techniques entered the mix and, in 1996, the word “Museum” was added to its name, to reflect the growing collection of what now comprises more than 5,600 works by some 500 artists.
Monday – Friday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: 12 noon to 5 p.m.
Group tours are available by appointment. Call (215) 561-8888 (x247) for more information.
The Museum occasionally offers lectures and video presentations. Additionally, visitors are encouraged to tour studios where artists-in-residence are working.
In the neighborhood
1201 Race Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Home2 Suites by Hilton Philadelphia–
- Loews Philadelphia Hotel
- Hilton Garden Inn Center City
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
800 Spruce Street (enter by 8th Street entrance) Philadelphia, PA 19107
- United States Mint
- The Irish Memorial
- St. Stephen’s Protestant Episcopal Church
- Masonic Temple
- National Constitution Center
- PSFS Building
- National Liberty Museum
- The Philadelphia History Museum at the Atwater Kent
- The Athenaeum of Philadelphia
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
926 South Street Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Percy Street Barbecue
- Center City District Sips
- Ms. Tootsie’s Restaurant Bar Lounge
- M Restaurant at the Morris House Hotel
- Hard Rock Cafe Philadelphia
- National Mechanics
- Taste of Philadelphia Food Tour
- Zavino Pizzeria and Wine Bar
- View more Restuarants & Dining