1976 by Claes Oldenburg
Philadelphia’s City Hall has inspired many reactions, but perhaps none quirkier than Claes Oldenburg’s. City Hall is formal, ornate late 19th century. Oldenburg’s 45-foot steel Clothespin, directly across 15th Street, is sleek, ultramodern, whimsical. Everyone has an opinion about the Clothespin. What’s yours?
Oldenburg linked his design for the Clothespin to Constantin Brancusi’s well-known sculpture The Kiss in the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Many agree that the Clothespin’s shape resembles two lovers entwining.
In the neighborhood
Museums & Attractions
1 Boathouse Row
Lloyd Hall, a good starting point
Philadelphia, PA 19130
- Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University
- Made In America Music Festival
- Sister Cities Park
- Patrick Kelly: Runway of Love
at the Perelman Building
- Fairmount Water Works Interpretive Center
- LOVE Statue
- Schuylkill River Trail
- Free Library of Philadelphia
- Arch Street United Methodist Church
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
22 S. 23rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Center City District Restaurant Week
- Tavern 17
- Café Lutecia
- The Franklin Mortgage & Investment Company
- The Dandelion Pub
- Honey’s Sit ‘n Eat
- Village Whiskey
- Liberty Block Party
Wawa Welcome America!
- Di Bruno Bros.
- View more Restuarants & Dining