Blue Cross Broad Street Run
A 10-mile road race along Philadelphia’s historic Broad Street
Race Day: May 1, 2016
The 36th Annual Blue Cross Broad Street Run is a 10-mile, point-to-point course running from the northern edge of the city to the Philadelphia Navy Yard on the Delaware Waterfront.
Participants will pass many of the city’s most important landmarks along the way, including Temple University, City Hall, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, The Avenue of the Arts and the Philadelphia stadium complex.
Expect record-breaking times and a field of about approximately 37,000 runners on this USATF-certified course, which rates as one of the fastest in the country by Runner’s World magazine. The race finishes inside the Philadelphia Navy Yard.
If you want to cheer on a friend or loved one or just watch some of the race, there are plenty of spaces along the route to do so.
Independence Blue Cross and the Philadelphia Parks and Recreation Department recommend the following locations:
- The start area near Broad and Fisher
- North Broad Street along the Temple University Campus
- North Broad Street at Callowhill
- City Hall — West Side at Dilworth Plaza
- Broad and Walnut outside The Bellevue
- South Broad Street along the Avenue of the Arts
- South Broad Street at Carpenter (High School for the Creative and Performing Arts)
- South Broad Street at Jackson (South Philadelphia High School)
- South Broad Street at Bigler Street
- South Broad Street at Packer Avenue one block from Chickie & Pete’s
- Broad and Pattison at the Sports Complex
- Finish line area inside the Philadelphia Navy Yard (bleachers)
There are 10 water stations, aid stations, port-a-potties, entertainment and numerous ambulances on the course. The course is traffic-free in the south-bound lanes and monitored by police.
Due to the limited amount of parking in the start area, runners are asked to park (for free) near the finish area at Broad and Pattison streets at the Stadium Complex. From there, the SEPTA Broad Street subway line (also free) will take runners to the starting point at Central High School. (Runners must display their race number on the front of their shirt to ride free of charge.)
For more info, check out the official FAQ below.
Finish Line Party
The finish line is located just inside the main gate of the Philadelphia Navy Yard at the southern end of Broad Street. Runners can help themselves to refreshments, win door prizes at the awards stage and then take shuttle buses from the finish area back to the parking areas.
In addition to being where the race ends, the Navy Yard holds a hub of activity throughout the day of the Broad Street Run with kid-friendly races and activities.
Runners and spectators alike who don’t want the day to end can take part in a fun race-day tradition after the race: delicious brunch.
Check out our list of the best places to eat brunch in Philadelphia to find the perfect spot to wind down after an exciting morning.
For more information on the Broad Street Run, click the button below.
In the neighborhood
Museums & Attractions
12th and Berks Mall Philadelphia, PA 19122
- The Village of Arts and Humanities
- Wagner Free Institute of Science
- Temple University Libraries – The Special Collections Department
- Fairmount Water Works Interpretive Center
- The Philadelphia Jewish Archives Center
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining