Philadelphia is ready to welcome the 2016 Democratic National Convention (DNC) to town from July 25-28, 2016—and with it, the eyes of the world. As the five-county region’s official destination-marketing organization, VISIT PHILADELPHIA® has been working for more than a year to ensure that the region is a star, not a backdrop, through media relations, web and social media promotion, advertisements and collateral.
VISIT PHILADELPHIA worked on the bid, presented to the site-selection committee, served on committees, delivered speeches, sat on panels and conducted interviews about Philadelphia’s major role in the DNC—and that’s just the beginning. Here’s a look at more of what VISIT PHILADELPHIA is doing to make the convention a productive and pleasurable one for attendees:
- Online Media Resource Center: VISIT PHILADELPHIA created a one-stop shop for media covering Philadelphia as a destination: visitphilly.com/dncpress. The site includes DNC-related press releases, photos and videos of Philadelphia, an interactive vantage points map and an interview database, which comprises detailed listings about a diverse group of 100 accomplished Philadelphians available for interviews.
- Media Tours: Prior to and during to the convention, VISIT PHILADELPHIA will lead organized tours to show off Philadelphia’s historical and cultural assets. Available at scheduled times and on-demand, tour options include:
- Lay-of-the-land tour, with a special focus on great vantage points for media stories
- Conventional history tour
- First-person looks at Philadelphia’s food, street art and underground scenes
- Anytime access to the PHLASH bus, which stops at attractions throughout Center City
- Press Centers: VISIT PHILADELPHIA organized Philadelphia media resource centers together with the City of Philadelphia, the DNC Host Committee and the Philadelphia Convention & Visitors Bureau (PHLCVB). Staff will welcome media professionals and supply them with Philadelphia-related stories, photography and video at the press centers located in the Wells Fargo Center media pavilion (booth 906) and the Pennsylvania Convention Center.
- Monitoring & Engagement: Beginning in April, Visit Philly launched a social media campaign to start conversations with DNC delegates, visitors and media with relevant content, targeted social media advertising, monitoring and engagement, particularly on Facebook and Twitter.
- Hashtag Promotion: Visit Philly has joined forces with the DNC Host Committee to promote #DNCDeals, a hashtag designed to show off specials at restaurants and attractions during the DNC; #DonkeysAroundTown, the hashtag for the citywide installation of 57 fiberglass donkeys; and #PHLDNC2016, the official hashtag of the host committee. Curated by Visit Philly, galleries for #DNCDeals and #DonkeysAroundTown appear online at visitphilly.com/dnc.
- News & Updates: During and leading up to the convention, Visit Philly’s social channels will distribute news and updates, host live one-on-one interviews with local leaders, show behind-the-scenes photos and videos and share user-generated content from the convention and beyond.
- visitphilly.com/dnc: Philadelphia’s official visitor website features details about PoliticalFest, #DNCDeals, Donkeys Around Town and all of the great visitor-planning information it’s known for. That includes details about what to do, where to eat, where to stay, getting here and getting around during the DNC.
- uwishunu.com: Philly’s what’s-happening blog has been providing DNC-related news and updates and will continue to do so leading up to and during the convention.
- Billboards Around Town: Up since late-June, three different With Love, Philadelphia XOXO® ads will greet convention-goers, media and travelers with DNC and come-back messages. The ads appear on billboards along I-676 and I-95 in Philadelphia, on the Pennsylvania Turnpike and on Route 30 in South Jersey. Advertising also appears on screens at the Philadelphia International Airport and other Center City locations and will remain on display through early August.
Collateral Materials & Promotional Items:
- DNC Pocket Guides: In collaboration with the DNC Host Committee and PHLCVB, VISIT PHILADELPHIA created two different pocket guides: one for media and another for delegates. They’ll be distributed in the welcome bags, at hotel welcome desks and at the press centers to help visitors enjoy their time in Philadelphia.
- Welcome Bags: VISIT PHILADELPHIA coordinated items for 10,000 welcome bags that will be distributed to 6,000 delegates and 4,000 media. The bags include fun and useful items, including a With Love, Philadelphia XOXO® magnetic photo frame—one of VISIT PHILADELPHIA’s contributions to the bags.
VISIT PHILADELPHIA® is our name and our mission. As the region’s official tourism marketing agency, we build Greater Philadelphia’s image, drive visitation and boost the economy.
On Greater Philadelphia’s official visitor website and blog, visitphilly.com and uwishunu.com, visitors can explore things to do, upcoming events, themed itineraries and hotel packages. Compelling photography and videos, interactive maps and detailed visitor information make the sites effective trip-planning tools. Along with Visit Philly social media channels, the online platforms communicate directly with consumers. Travelers can also call and stop into the Independence Visitor Center for additional information and tickets.