The Iron Chef’s first American restaurant
Stephen Starr’s creative Japanese restaurant has garnered all kinds of national and international attention since opening a few years back. Located a block from Independence Hall on Chestnut Street, Morimoto has an interior — awash in glass and colors — that is both striking and serene in its design.
The restaurant’s namesake and head chef, Morimoto (of Food Network’s Iron Chef fame), has created a menu offering the very best in contemporary Japanese cusine. While regulars flock here for the exquisitely prepared sushi, Morimoto offers diners a broad spectrum of flavors that delve beyond nigiri and sashimi.
In recent years, the restaurant has made it onto Gourmet magazine’s “Best Restaurants in America” list and Conde Nast Traveler magazine’s “50 Hot Tables in America.” Today Morimoto remains one of the hottest spots to dine in Center City and continues to receive rave reviews from regulars and first-timers alike.
That said, be sure to call ahead for reservations.
The mezzanine level lounge is a great spot to have a pre-meal cocktail while waiting for your table. You can enjoy a sake or try a “Sakura” — a cosmo made with Sake — in the sleek space that overlooks the brilliant restaurant below.
In the neighborhood
1201 Market Street Philadelphia, PA 19107
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- Holiday Inn Express
- Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District
- Hilton Garden Inn Center City
- Holiday Inn Express Midtown
- The Morris House Hotel
- The Independent Hotel Philadelphia
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Loews Philadelphia Hotel
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
1219 Vine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Arch Street United Methodist Church
- National Archives and Records Administration Mid-Atlantic Region
- PSFS Building
- AIA Bookstore & Design Center
- PIFA Street Fair
- The African American Museum in Philadelphia
- Mural Arts Program
- St. Stephen’s Protestant Episcopal Church
- The Philadelphia History Museum at the Atwater Kent
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining