The Iron Chef’s first American restaurant
Stephen Starr’s creative Japanese restaurant has garnered all kinds of national and international attention since opening a few years back. Located a block from Independence Hall on Chestnut Street, Morimoto has an interior — awash in glass and colors — that is both striking and serene in its design.
The restaurant’s namesake and head chef, Morimoto (of Food Network’s Iron Chef fame), has created a menu offering the very best in contemporary Japanese cusine. While regulars flock here for the exquisitely prepared sushi, Morimoto offers diners a broad spectrum of flavors that delve beyond nigiri and sashimi.
In recent years, the restaurant has made it onto Gourmet magazine’s “Best Restaurants in America” list and Conde Nast Traveler magazine’s “50 Hot Tables in America.” Today Morimoto remains one of the hottest spots to dine in Center City and continues to receive rave reviews from regulars and first-timers alike.
That said, be sure to call ahead for reservations.
The mezzanine level lounge is a great spot to have a pre-meal cocktail while waiting for your table. You can enjoy a sake or try a “Sakura” — a cosmo made with Sake — in the sleek space that overlooks the brilliant restaurant below.
In the neighborhood
1100 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City
- The Morris House Hotel
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- Holiday Inn Express Midtown
- Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District
- Loews Philadelphia Hotel
- Sleep Inn Center City
- Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
One North Broad Street Philadelphia, PA 19107
- AIA Bookstore & Design Center
- PIFA Street Fair
- Emergence of a Modern Metropolis Walking Tour
- St. Stephen’s Protestant Episcopal Church
- Mural Arts Program
- Center for Architecture
- The African American Museum
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
121 S. 13th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Taste of Philadelphia Food Tour
- Hard Rock Cafe Philadelphia
- Percy Street Barbecue
- M Restaurant at the Morris House Hotel
- National Mechanics
- Tommy DiNic’s Roast Pork and Beef
- Ms. Tootsie’s Restaurant Bar Lounge
- View more Restuarants & Dining