The Iron Chef’s first American restaurant
Stephen Starr’s creative Japanese restaurant has garnered all kinds of national and international attention since opening a few years back. Located a block from Independence Hall on Chestnut Street, Morimoto has an interior — awash in glass and colors — that is both striking and serene in its design.
The restaurant’s namesake and head chef, Morimoto (of Food Network’s Iron Chef fame), has created a menu offering the very best in contemporary Japanese cusine. While regulars flock here for the exquisitely prepared sushi, Morimoto offers diners a broad spectrum of flavors that delve beyond nigiri and sashimi.
In recent years, the restaurant has made it onto Gourmet magazine’s “Best Restaurants in America” list and Conde Nast Traveler magazine’s “50 Hot Tables in America.” Today Morimoto remains one of the hottest spots to dine in Center City and continues to receive rave reviews from regulars and first-timers alike.
That said, be sure to call ahead for reservations.
The mezzanine level lounge is a great spot to have a pre-meal cocktail while waiting for your table. You can enjoy a sake or try a “Sakura” — a cosmo made with Sake — in the sleek space that overlooks the brilliant restaurant below.
In the neighborhood
1 E. Penn Square
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Hilton Garden Inn Center City
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Home2 Suites by Hilton Philadelphia–
- Le Méridien Philadelphia
- Loews Philadelphia Hotel
- Four Points by Sheraton Center City
- Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
- Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
Restaurants & Dining
22 S. 3rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
- El Vez
- Center City District Restaurant Week
- Reading Terminal Market’s Pennsylvania Dutch Festival
- Hard Rock Cafe Philadelphia
- Campus Philly CollegeFest
- Ms. Tootsie’s Restaurant Bar Lounge
- View more Restuarants & Dining