The Iron Chef’s first American restaurant
Stephen Starr’s creative Japanese restaurant has garnered all kinds of national and international attention since opening a few years back. Located a block from Independence Hall on Chestnut Street, Morimoto has an interior — awash in glass and colors — that is both striking and serene in its design.
The restaurant’s namesake and head chef, Morimoto (of Food Network’s Iron Chef fame), has created a menu offering the very best in contemporary Japanese cusine. While regulars flock here for the exquisitely prepared sushi, Morimoto offers diners a broad spectrum of flavors that delve beyond nigiri and sashimi.
In recent years, the restaurant has made it onto Gourmet magazine’s “Best Restaurants in America” list and Conde Nast Traveler magazine’s “50 Hot Tables in America.” Today Morimoto remains one of the hottest spots to dine in Center City and continues to receive rave reviews from regulars and first-timers alike.
That said, be sure to call ahead for reservations.
The mezzanine level lounge is a great spot to have a pre-meal cocktail while waiting for your table. You can enjoy a sake or try a “Sakura” — a cosmo made with Sake — in the sleek space that overlooks the brilliant restaurant below.
In the neighborhood
1208 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
- The Morris House Hotel
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- Alexander Inn
- Holiday Inn Express Midtown
- Philadelphia Segway Tours
- Hilton Garden Inn Center City
- Holiday Inn Express
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
1200 Market Street The Loews Philadelphia Hotel Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Asian Arts Initiative
- Masonic Temple
- City Hall
- National Archives and Records Administration Mid-Atlantic Region
- St. Stephen’s Protestant Episcopal Church
- The Philadelphia History Museum at the Atwater Kent
- Arch Street United Methodist Church
- Center for Architecture
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
121 S. 13th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Campus Philly CollegeFest
- Bank & Bourbon
- Garces Trading Company
- Reading Terminal Market’s Pennsylvania Dutch Festival
- Tria – Wine Beer & Cheese Café
- M Restaurant at the Morris House Hotel
- Zavino Pizzeria and Wine Bar
- View more Restuarants & Dining