The Iron Chef’s first American restaurant
Stephen Starr’s creative Japanese restaurant has garnered all kinds of national and international attention since opening a few years back. Located a block from Independence Hall on Chestnut Street, Morimoto has an interior — awash in glass and colors — that is both striking and serene in its design.
The restaurant’s namesake and head chef, Morimoto (of Food Network’s Iron Chef fame), has created a menu offering the very best in contemporary Japanese cusine. While regulars flock here for the exquisitely prepared sushi, Morimoto offers diners a broad spectrum of flavors that delve beyond nigiri and sashimi.
In recent years, the restaurant has made it onto Gourmet magazine’s “Best Restaurants in America” list and Conde Nast Traveler magazine’s “50 Hot Tables in America.” Today Morimoto remains one of the hottest spots to dine in Center City and continues to receive rave reviews from regulars and first-timers alike.
That said, be sure to call ahead for reservations.
The mezzanine level lounge is a great spot to have a pre-meal cocktail while waiting for your table. You can enjoy a sake or try a “Sakura” — a cosmo made with Sake — in the sleek space that overlooks the brilliant restaurant below.
In the neighborhood
1201 Market Street Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Home2 Suites by Hilton Philadelphia–
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Hilton Garden Inn Center City
- Loews Philadelphia Hotel
- Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown
- Four Points by Sheraton Center City
- Le Méridien Philadelphia
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
1200 Market Street The Loews Philadelphia Hotel Philadelphia, PA 19107
- National Archives and Records Administration Mid-Atlantic Region
- PIFA Street Fair
- Chinese Friendship Gate
- The African American Museum in Philadelphia
- City Hall
- Radio One Music & Entertainment Conference
- Arch Street United Methodist Church
- Philadelphia Museum of Art
- Asian Arts Initiative
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
12th and Filbert Streets Tour departs from the Reading Terminal Market information desk Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Percy Street Barbecue
- National Mechanics
- Center City District Sips
- M Restaurant at the Morris House Hotel
- 1225 Raw Sushi & Sake Lounge
- El Vez
- View more Restuarants & Dining