The Iron Chef’s first American restaurant
Stephen Starr’s creative Japanese restaurant has garnered all kinds of national and international attention since opening a few years back. Located a block from Independence Hall on Chestnut Street, Morimoto has an interior — awash in glass and colors — that is both striking and serene in its design.
The restaurant’s namesake and head chef, Morimoto (of Food Network’s Iron Chef fame), has created a menu offering the very best in contemporary Japanese cusine. While regulars flock here for the exquisitely prepared sushi, Morimoto offers diners a broad spectrum of flavors that delve beyond nigiri and sashimi.
In recent years, the restaurant has made it onto Gourmet magazine’s “Best Restaurants in America” list and Conde Nast Traveler magazine’s “50 Hot Tables in America.” Today Morimoto remains one of the hottest spots to dine in Center City and continues to receive rave reviews from regulars and first-timers alike.
That said, be sure to call ahead for reservations.
The mezzanine level lounge is a great spot to have a pre-meal cocktail while waiting for your table. You can enjoy a sake or try a “Sakura” — a cosmo made with Sake — in the sleek space that overlooks the brilliant restaurant below.
In the neighborhood
12th and Spruce Streets
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Holiday Inn Express
- Holiday Inn Express Midtown
- DoubleTree By Hilton Philadelphia Center City
- Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
- The Morris House Hotel
- Philadelphia Segway Tours
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Rodeway Inn Center City
- Hilton Garden Inn Center City
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
1200 Market Street The Loews Philadelphia Hotel Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Asian Arts Initiative
- Center for Architecture
- The Philadelphia History Museum at the Atwater Kent
- St. Stephen’s Protestant Episcopal Church
- Arch Street United Methodist Church
- City Hall
- National Archives and Records Administration Mid-Atlantic Region
- Masonic Temple
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
121 S. 13th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Campus Philly CollegeFest
- Bank & Bourbon
- M Restaurant at the Morris House Hotel
- Zavino Pizzeria and Wine Bar
- Reading Terminal Market’s Pennsylvania Dutch Festival
- Tria – Wine Beer & Cheese Café
- Garces Trading Company
- View more Restuarants & Dining