The Iron Chef’s first American restaurant
Stephen Starr’s creative Japanese restaurant has garnered all kinds of national and international attention since opening a few years back. Located a block from Independence Hall on Chestnut Street, Morimoto has an interior — awash in glass and colors — that is both striking and serene in its design.
The restaurant’s namesake and head chef, Morimoto (of Food Network’s Iron Chef fame), has created a menu offering the very best in contemporary Japanese cusine. While regulars flock here for the exquisitely prepared sushi, Morimoto offers diners a broad spectrum of flavors that delve beyond nigiri and sashimi.
In recent years, the restaurant has made it onto Gourmet magazine’s “Best Restaurants in America” list and Conde Nast Traveler magazine’s “50 Hot Tables in America.” Today Morimoto remains one of the hottest spots to dine in Center City and continues to receive rave reviews from regulars and first-timers alike.
That said, be sure to call ahead for reservations.
The mezzanine level lounge is a great spot to have a pre-meal cocktail while waiting for your table. You can enjoy a sake or try a “Sakura” — a cosmo made with Sake — in the sleek space that overlooks the brilliant restaurant below.
In the neighborhood
1421 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102
- Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
- Loews Philadelphia Hotel
- Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown
- Four Points by Sheraton Center City
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia Center City
- Hilton Garden Inn Center City
- The Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia
- Home2 Suites by Hilton Philadelphia–
- Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City
- View more hotels
Museums & Attractions
701 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
- St. Stephen’s Protestant Episcopal Church
- Center for Architecture
- Arch Street United Methodist Church
- Hard Rock Cafe Philadelphia
- Chinese Friendship Gate
- The Fabric Workshop and Museum
- Emergence of a Modern Metropolis Walking Tour
- Mural Arts Program
- View more attractions
Restaurants & Dining
926 South Street Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Ms. Tootsie’s Restaurant Bar Lounge
- Bank & Bourbon
- 1225 Raw Sushi & Sake Lounge
- Zavino Pizzeria and Wine Bar
- El Vez
- Tommy DiNic’s Roast Pork and Beef
- Reading Terminal Market’s Pennsylvania Dutch Festival
- View more Restuarants & Dining