VISIT PHILADELPHIA® today announced a two-year, $2 million grant from The Pew Charitable Trusts that will enable the tourism marketing organization to increase its promotion of Historic Philadelphia, an area that encompasses the Delaware River waterfront, Old City, Society Hill and Independence National Historical Park. VISIT PHILADELPHIA will use a mix of branding, advertising, public relations and web and social media marketing to increase visitation to the area and to get people to see and do more while they’re in the historic neighborhood.
The Pew grant enables VISIT PHILADELPHIA to expand the Historic Philadelphia campaign launched in summer 2016 with funding from H.F. (Gerry) Lenfest and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania’s Department of Community and Economic Development. This marketing effort touts the area’s powerful place in the country’s founding while also showcasing the restaurants, bars, shops, galleries and attractions that make it appealing to 21st-century residents and visitors, day into night.
“We know from research that many visitors don’t go beyond the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall,” said Meryl Levitz, president & CEO, VISIT PHILADELPHIA. “This generous grant from Pew will strengthen our efforts to move people around the district and help them discover all that makes the original city so special. On the heels of the Democratic National Convention and with the opening of the Museum of the American Revolution slated for April 2017, it’s a great time to make this push.”
The Marketing Plan:
Over the next two years, VISIT PHILADELPHIA will amplify its Historic Philadelphia campaign with:
- More Advertising: Leveraging the high-impact With Love, Philadelphia XOXO® in the Mid-Atlantic region
- More Content: Enhancing the already robust offerings on visitphilly.com/historic and uwishunu.com
- More Social Media Attention: Promoting Historic Philadelphia and the many things to see and do there across Visit Philly’s 15 powerful social media channels
- More Media Attention: Generating editorial placements in newspapers and magazines, on broadcast TV and radio, and online to tell the Historic Philadelphia story
- More Partners: Collaborating with Historic Philadelphia attractions, restaurants and shops on events, promotions and offerings that will drive business to and around the district
- A To-Be-Determined Visitor Engagement Project: Giving people a reason to come to the area, move around it and share their experience on social media
VISIT PHILADELPHIA® is our name and our mission. As the region’s official tourism marketing agency, we build Greater Philadelphia’s image, drive visitation and boost the economy.
On Greater Philadelphia’s official visitor website and blog, visitphilly.com and uwishunu.com, visitors can explore things to do, upcoming events, themed itineraries and hotel packages. Compelling photography and videos, interactive maps and detailed visitor information make the sites effective trip-planning tools. Along with Visit Philly social media channels, the online platforms communicate directly with consumers. Travelers can also call and stop into the Independence Visitor Center for additional information and tickets.